Wimbledon 2014: Roger Federer Advances to Semi-Finals; Swiss ‘Blissful’ of Current Performance
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 3, 2014 2:31 PM EST
Roger Federer has advanced to the semifinals of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships after beating fellow Swiss athlete Stanislas Wawrinka 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Federer lost in the first set of the quarterfinals match against Wawrinka but managed to win the remaining sets, securing his semifinals slot in the Grand Slam tournament.
Roger Federer of Switzerland reacts after defeating Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland in their men's singles quarter-final tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
Federer said in an interview after the quarterfinals match that it was tough to play Wawrinka, not only because Wawrinka is a strong player but because they were friends.
"Midway through the second set, I was thinking about the fact that it was Stan I was playing, a friend and a compatriot," Federer told Wimbledon correspondent Kate Battersby. The 32-year-old fourth-ranked athlete said he wanted to win the match but he was cautious not to beat Wawrinka so hard.
"You want to win the match but you don't necessarily want to beat him."
Federer admitted that Wawrinka played really well, especially in the first two sets, so he fought back until the fellow Swiss athlete struggled with his own performance.
Federer will play Milos Raonic for a spot in the Grand Slam finals.
Raonic is the first Canadian to reach the semifinals of the said tournament in the last 91 years. Despite the weight of the recent victory, Raonic is encouraged that he will be able to play his best against the Swiss athlete.
"It's going to be a great challenge and one that I'm going to relish, because it's something I've really wanted, to put myself in this position, to give myself this opportunity. II've got to go out there, give my all, compete hard, and who knows what can happen?" said Raonic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists