Wimbledon 2014: Roger Federer Advances to Semi-Finals; Swiss ‘Blissful’ of Current Performance
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 3, 2014 2:31 PM EST
Roger Federer has advanced to the semifinals of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships after beating fellow Swiss athlete Stanislas Wawrinka 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Federer lost in the first set of the quarterfinals match against Wawrinka but managed to win the remaining sets, securing his semifinals slot in the Grand Slam tournament.
Roger Federer of Switzerland reacts after defeating Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland in their men's singles quarter-final tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
Federer said in an interview after the quarterfinals match that it was tough to play Wawrinka, not only because Wawrinka is a strong player but because they were friends.
"Midway through the second set, I was thinking about the fact that it was Stan I was playing, a friend and a compatriot," Federer told Wimbledon correspondent Kate Battersby. The 32-year-old fourth-ranked athlete said he wanted to win the match but he was cautious not to beat Wawrinka so hard.
"You want to win the match but you don't necessarily want to beat him."
Federer admitted that Wawrinka played really well, especially in the first two sets, so he fought back until the fellow Swiss athlete struggled with his own performance.
Federer will play Milos Raonic for a spot in the Grand Slam finals.
Raonic is the first Canadian to reach the semifinals of the said tournament in the last 91 years. Despite the weight of the recent victory, Raonic is encouraged that he will be able to play his best against the Swiss athlete.
"It's going to be a great challenge and one that I'm going to relish, because it's something I've really wanted, to put myself in this position, to give myself this opportunity. II've got to go out there, give my all, compete hard, and who knows what can happen?" said Raonic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions