Wimbledon 2014: Roger Federer Advances to Semi-Finals; Swiss ‘Blissful’ of Current Performance
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 3, 2014 2:31 PM EST
Roger Federer has advanced to the semifinals of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships after beating fellow Swiss athlete Stanislas Wawrinka 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Federer lost in the first set of the quarterfinals match against Wawrinka but managed to win the remaining sets, securing his semifinals slot in the Grand Slam tournament.
Roger Federer of Switzerland reacts after defeating Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland in their men's singles quarter-final tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
Federer said in an interview after the quarterfinals match that it was tough to play Wawrinka, not only because Wawrinka is a strong player but because they were friends.
"Midway through the second set, I was thinking about the fact that it was Stan I was playing, a friend and a compatriot," Federer told Wimbledon correspondent Kate Battersby. The 32-year-old fourth-ranked athlete said he wanted to win the match but he was cautious not to beat Wawrinka so hard.
"You want to win the match but you don't necessarily want to beat him."
Federer admitted that Wawrinka played really well, especially in the first two sets, so he fought back until the fellow Swiss athlete struggled with his own performance.
Federer will play Milos Raonic for a spot in the Grand Slam finals.
Raonic is the first Canadian to reach the semifinals of the said tournament in the last 91 years. Despite the weight of the recent victory, Raonic is encouraged that he will be able to play his best against the Swiss athlete.
"It's going to be a great challenge and one that I'm going to relish, because it's something I've really wanted, to put myself in this position, to give myself this opportunity. II've got to go out there, give my all, compete hard, and who knows what can happen?" said Raonic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft