Wimbledon 2014: Roger Federer Advances to Semi-Finals; Swiss ‘Blissful’ of Current Performance
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 3, 2014 2:31 PM EST
Roger Federer has advanced to the semifinals of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships after beating fellow Swiss athlete Stanislas Wawrinka 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Federer lost in the first set of the quarterfinals match against Wawrinka but managed to win the remaining sets, securing his semifinals slot in the Grand Slam tournament.
Roger Federer of Switzerland reacts after defeating Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland in their men's singles quarter-final tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
Federer said in an interview after the quarterfinals match that it was tough to play Wawrinka, not only because Wawrinka is a strong player but because they were friends.
"Midway through the second set, I was thinking about the fact that it was Stan I was playing, a friend and a compatriot," Federer told Wimbledon correspondent Kate Battersby. The 32-year-old fourth-ranked athlete said he wanted to win the match but he was cautious not to beat Wawrinka so hard.
"You want to win the match but you don't necessarily want to beat him."
Federer admitted that Wawrinka played really well, especially in the first two sets, so he fought back until the fellow Swiss athlete struggled with his own performance.
Federer will play Milos Raonic for a spot in the Grand Slam finals.
Raonic is the first Canadian to reach the semifinals of the said tournament in the last 91 years. Despite the weight of the recent victory, Raonic is encouraged that he will be able to play his best against the Swiss athlete.
"It's going to be a great challenge and one that I'm going to relish, because it's something I've really wanted, to put myself in this position, to give myself this opportunity. II've got to go out there, give my all, compete hard, and who knows what can happen?" said Raonic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More