Wimbledon 2014: Roger Federer Advances to Semi-Finals; Swiss ‘Blissful’ of Current Performance
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 3, 2014 2:31 PM EST
Roger Federer has advanced to the semifinals of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships after beating fellow Swiss athlete Stanislas Wawrinka 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Federer lost in the first set of the quarterfinals match against Wawrinka but managed to win the remaining sets, securing his semifinals slot in the Grand Slam tournament.
Roger Federer of Switzerland reacts after defeating Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland in their men's singles quarter-final tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
Federer said in an interview after the quarterfinals match that it was tough to play Wawrinka, not only because Wawrinka is a strong player but because they were friends.
"Midway through the second set, I was thinking about the fact that it was Stan I was playing, a friend and a compatriot," Federer told Wimbledon correspondent Kate Battersby. The 32-year-old fourth-ranked athlete said he wanted to win the match but he was cautious not to beat Wawrinka so hard.
"You want to win the match but you don't necessarily want to beat him."
Federer admitted that Wawrinka played really well, especially in the first two sets, so he fought back until the fellow Swiss athlete struggled with his own performance.
Federer will play Milos Raonic for a spot in the Grand Slam finals.
Raonic is the first Canadian to reach the semifinals of the said tournament in the last 91 years. Despite the weight of the recent victory, Raonic is encouraged that he will be able to play his best against the Swiss athlete.
"It's going to be a great challenge and one that I'm going to relish, because it's something I've really wanted, to put myself in this position, to give myself this opportunity. II've got to go out there, give my all, compete hard, and who knows what can happen?" said Raonic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet