NBA News - Australian Patty Mills to Get 3-Year Extension with Spurs Despite Shoulder Injury
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Patty Mills will be returning to the San Antonio Spurs after both parties agreed on a three-year deal worth around $12 million (roughly AUD $12.7M). The verbal agreement came just a day after the Australian guard learned that he needs surgery on his injured shoulder.
San Antonio Spurs' players Patty Mills of Australia (L) and Tim Duncan congratulate Kawhi Leonard (R) after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced him the winner of the Bill Russell MVP trophy after the Spurs defeated the Miami Heat in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express broke the signing via Twitter:
— Buck Harvey (@Buck_SA) July 2, 2014
The agreement will become official by July 10, when the moratorium on league signings and trades will be lifted.
Mills was originally a second round pick by the Portland Trail Blazers in 2009 before landing in San Antonio as a free agent in the 2011-2012 NBA season.
The 25-year-old from Canberra, Australia was crucial in the Spurs' 2014 title run. In 23 games in the postseason he averaged 7.3 points in 15.3 minutes per game but none more impressive than his last two games in the NBA Finals. Mills dropped 14 (on 4/6 three-pointers) and 17 points (on 5/8 three-pointers) in games 4 and 5, respectively.
Those performances made him an attractive second-tier free agent in this offseason with the likes of the New York Knicks showing interest early on. However, the shoulder injury and surgery, which will make him miss the next seven months, might have turned off potential suitors.
“I have no idea how it works, but I’m guessing it will affect (my next deal). But it’s out of my hands. It is what it is. We’ve got to make the most of the situation and move on,” said Mills to Fairfax Media on Wednesday.
A day after, should injury and all, Mills is $12M richer and in good hands with the Spurs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best