NBA News - Australian Patty Mills to Get 3-Year Extension with Spurs Despite Shoulder Injury
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Patty Mills will be returning to the San Antonio Spurs after both parties agreed on a three-year deal worth around $12 million (roughly AUD $12.7M). The verbal agreement came just a day after the Australian guard learned that he needs surgery on his injured shoulder.
San Antonio Spurs' players Patty Mills of Australia (L) and Tim Duncan congratulate Kawhi Leonard (R) after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced him the winner of the Bill Russell MVP trophy after the Spurs defeated the Miami Heat in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express broke the signing via Twitter:
— Buck Harvey (@Buck_SA) July 2, 2014
The agreement will become official by July 10, when the moratorium on league signings and trades will be lifted.
Mills was originally a second round pick by the Portland Trail Blazers in 2009 before landing in San Antonio as a free agent in the 2011-2012 NBA season.
The 25-year-old from Canberra, Australia was crucial in the Spurs' 2014 title run. In 23 games in the postseason he averaged 7.3 points in 15.3 minutes per game but none more impressive than his last two games in the NBA Finals. Mills dropped 14 (on 4/6 three-pointers) and 17 points (on 5/8 three-pointers) in games 4 and 5, respectively.
Those performances made him an attractive second-tier free agent in this offseason with the likes of the New York Knicks showing interest early on. However, the shoulder injury and surgery, which will make him miss the next seven months, might have turned off potential suitors.
“I have no idea how it works, but I’m guessing it will affect (my next deal). But it’s out of my hands. It is what it is. We’ve got to make the most of the situation and move on,” said Mills to Fairfax Media on Wednesday.
A day after, should injury and all, Mills is $12M richer and in good hands with the Spurs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28