NBA News - Australian Patty Mills to Get 3-Year Extension with Spurs Despite Shoulder Injury
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Patty Mills will be returning to the San Antonio Spurs after both parties agreed on a three-year deal worth around $12 million (roughly AUD $12.7M). The verbal agreement came just a day after the Australian guard learned that he needs surgery on his injured shoulder.
San Antonio Spurs' players Patty Mills of Australia (L) and Tim Duncan congratulate Kawhi Leonard (R) after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced him the winner of the Bill Russell MVP trophy after the Spurs defeated the Miami Heat in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express broke the signing via Twitter:
— Buck Harvey (@Buck_SA) July 2, 2014
The agreement will become official by July 10, when the moratorium on league signings and trades will be lifted.
Mills was originally a second round pick by the Portland Trail Blazers in 2009 before landing in San Antonio as a free agent in the 2011-2012 NBA season.
The 25-year-old from Canberra, Australia was crucial in the Spurs' 2014 title run. In 23 games in the postseason he averaged 7.3 points in 15.3 minutes per game but none more impressive than his last two games in the NBA Finals. Mills dropped 14 (on 4/6 three-pointers) and 17 points (on 5/8 three-pointers) in games 4 and 5, respectively.
Those performances made him an attractive second-tier free agent in this offseason with the likes of the New York Knicks showing interest early on. However, the shoulder injury and surgery, which will make him miss the next seven months, might have turned off potential suitors.
“I have no idea how it works, but I’m guessing it will affect (my next deal). But it’s out of my hands. It is what it is. We’ve got to make the most of the situation and move on,” said Mills to Fairfax Media on Wednesday.
A day after, should injury and all, Mills is $12M richer and in good hands with the Spurs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown