NBA News - Australian Patty Mills to Get 3-Year Extension with Spurs Despite Shoulder Injury
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Patty Mills will be returning to the San Antonio Spurs after both parties agreed on a three-year deal worth around $12 million (roughly AUD $12.7M). The verbal agreement came just a day after the Australian guard learned that he needs surgery on his injured shoulder.
San Antonio Spurs' players Patty Mills of Australia (L) and Tim Duncan congratulate Kawhi Leonard (R) after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced him the winner of the Bill Russell MVP trophy after the Spurs defeated the Miami Heat in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express broke the signing via Twitter:
— Buck Harvey (@Buck_SA) July 2, 2014
The agreement will become official by July 10, when the moratorium on league signings and trades will be lifted.
Mills was originally a second round pick by the Portland Trail Blazers in 2009 before landing in San Antonio as a free agent in the 2011-2012 NBA season.
The 25-year-old from Canberra, Australia was crucial in the Spurs' 2014 title run. In 23 games in the postseason he averaged 7.3 points in 15.3 minutes per game but none more impressive than his last two games in the NBA Finals. Mills dropped 14 (on 4/6 three-pointers) and 17 points (on 5/8 three-pointers) in games 4 and 5, respectively.
Those performances made him an attractive second-tier free agent in this offseason with the likes of the New York Knicks showing interest early on. However, the shoulder injury and surgery, which will make him miss the next seven months, might have turned off potential suitors.
“I have no idea how it works, but I’m guessing it will affect (my next deal). But it’s out of my hands. It is what it is. We’ve got to make the most of the situation and move on,” said Mills to Fairfax Media on Wednesday.
A day after, should injury and all, Mills is $12M richer and in good hands with the Spurs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast