NBA News - Australian Patty Mills to Get 3-Year Extension with Spurs Despite Shoulder Injury
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Patty Mills will be returning to the San Antonio Spurs after both parties agreed on a three-year deal worth around $12 million (roughly AUD $12.7M). The verbal agreement came just a day after the Australian guard learned that he needs surgery on his injured shoulder.
San Antonio Spurs' players Patty Mills of Australia (L) and Tim Duncan congratulate Kawhi Leonard (R) after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced him the winner of the Bill Russell MVP trophy after the Spurs defeated the Miami Heat in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express broke the signing via Twitter:
— Buck Harvey (@Buck_SA) July 2, 2014
The agreement will become official by July 10, when the moratorium on league signings and trades will be lifted.
Mills was originally a second round pick by the Portland Trail Blazers in 2009 before landing in San Antonio as a free agent in the 2011-2012 NBA season.
The 25-year-old from Canberra, Australia was crucial in the Spurs' 2014 title run. In 23 games in the postseason he averaged 7.3 points in 15.3 minutes per game but none more impressive than his last two games in the NBA Finals. Mills dropped 14 (on 4/6 three-pointers) and 17 points (on 5/8 three-pointers) in games 4 and 5, respectively.
Those performances made him an attractive second-tier free agent in this offseason with the likes of the New York Knicks showing interest early on. However, the shoulder injury and surgery, which will make him miss the next seven months, might have turned off potential suitors.
“I have no idea how it works, but I’m guessing it will affect (my next deal). But it’s out of my hands. It is what it is. We’ve got to make the most of the situation and move on,” said Mills to Fairfax Media on Wednesday.
A day after, should injury and all, Mills is $12M richer and in good hands with the Spurs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate