Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on LG Nexus 5 Running Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P Firmware
By Ryan Inoyori | July 3, 2014 2:01 PM EST
Like Nexus 4, Nexus 5 updated to Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P is possible to be rooted using SuperSU. Additionally, users can also install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP by following these steps.
1. Manually backup all data files and personal settings stored on Nexus 5.
2. Battery level must be at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption.
3. Enable USB debugging mode on Nexus 5 located at the Settings menu.
4. Download and install the necessary USB drivers for the smartphone on the computer.
5. Unlock the bootloader of the LG Nexus 4 to install the rooting app.
7. Download the Fastboot tools on the Windows computer.
8. Download the SuperSU version 2.00 to the computer.
9. Download the ClockworkMod 220.127.116.11 custom recovery to the computer.
Warning: We are not responsible for any issues which may occur on the Nexus 4. Read and follow the instructions properly to avoid errors to happen. Do this at your own risk.
Gaining Root Access:
1. Extract the Fastboot tool to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory on the computer. The directory should appear after the Android SDK has been set up.
2. Transfer the files of the ClockworkMod recovery to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" on the computer.
3. Connect the Nexus 5 to the computer using a USB cable then copy and paste the SuperSU file on the internal storage.
4. Turn off the smartphone then reboot into Bootloader mode. Press and hold the volume down and power keys at the same time till you see some text on the display. The smartphone must remain connected via USB connection.
5. On the computer, find the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory then open a Command Window inside the folder.
6. Type the following commands without the quotation marks:
a. "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-hammerhead.img"
7. After that, select Recovery mode from the menu.
8. Inside the Recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup for the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup." Restore the ROM in case something goes wrong or whenever desired.
9. Flash the rooting zip file on the device. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the SuperSU zip file > confirm installation."
10. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu then select "reboot system now."
LG Nexus 5 will reboot automatically and may take three to five minutes before reaching the home screen. For verification of root access, download the Root Checker at the Google Play Store.
For any issues, send your feedback to Team Android official rooting page for LG Nexus 5 running KTU84P firmware.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' What Players Can Expect Before November 18 Release Date
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Spoilers: 'WoD' In-Game Cinematics Revealed, Plus There's A Brewfest For The Horde And Alliance Players [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?