Hachette Australia CEO’s Wife too Distraught to Speak about his Death
By Athena Yenko | July 3, 2014 1:58 PM EST
Wife of CEO of Hachette Australia Matthew Richell, Hannah Richell, is too distraught to speak about his recent death, according to the statement from the family.
Mrs Richell, who wrote Secrets of the Tides and The Shadow, is now left with their two children, aged six and three. The couple both hailed from Britain but resided in Sydney.
Mrs Richell was only informed about her husband's death by the police.
Mr Richell died after he hit perilous rocks while surfing Wednesday at Bronte Beach. He had been swept off Tamara where his body was found. According to police investigation, he had a head injury and was rescued unconscious by other surfers. First aid was given to revive him but to no avail.
Waverley Council chief lifeguard Bruce Hopkins said that the area where his body was found is known for being dangerous.
"It's dangerous in there because you have a lot of ledges underneath. You've got sharp rocks, and there's no other way out of there," Hopkins told the Sydney Morning Herald.
Coleen O'Neill, of the Bronte Surf Life Saving Club, also said the same about the Tamara area describing it as "very treacherous."
"That's very, very dangerous there. Because of the rips. It happens at that point ... it can pull you out and pull you around into Tama. That particular spot would have to be the most dangerous on the beach. And Tamarama is classed as the most dangerous beach in Sydney, I'd say, and Bronte's not too far behind it," O'Neill said.
The CEO of Hachette UK Tim Hely Hutchinson expressed his condolences to the Richell family.
"With great sorrow, and in shock, we have to announce the death of our beloved friend and colleague, Matt Richell, CEO of Hachette Australia and Chairman of Hachette New Zealand, who was tragically killed in a surfing accident ... our thoughts and most heartfelt condolences are with Matt's wife Hannah, his family, his colleagues and many friends in publishing and more widely," Hutchinson said in a statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date