Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on LG Nexus 4 Running Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P Firmware
By Ryan Inoyori | July 3, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Users who installed the Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P firmware on the LG Nexus 4 can still regain root access using SuperSU app and install a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP. Here are the requirements and steps in order to do it.
1. Create a manual backup of all data files and personal settings stored on Nexus 4.
2. The battery level must be at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption.
3. Enable USB debugging mode on Nexus 4 located at the Settings menu.
4. Download and install the necessary USB drivers for the smartphone on the computer.
5. Unlock the bootloader of the LG Nexus 4 to install the rooting app.
7. Download the Fastboot tools on the computer appropriate to its operating system:
a. Windows Fastboot tools.
b. MAC Fastboot tools.
c. Linux Fastboot tools.
8. Download the SuperSU version 2.00 to the computer.
Warning: We are not responsible for any issues which may occur on the Nexus 4. Read and follow the instructions properly to avoid errors to happen. Do this at your own risk.
Gaining Root Access:
1. Extract the Fastboot tool to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory on the computer. The directory will appear after setting up the Android SDK.
2. Transfer the files of the custom recovery chosen to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" on the computer.
3. Connect the Nexus 4 to the computer using a USB cable then copy and paste the SuperSU file on the internal storage.
4. Turn off the smartphone then reboot into Bootloader mode. Press and hold the volume down and power keys at the same time till you see some text on the display. Nexus 4 should remain connected via USB cable.
5. On the computer, find the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory then open a Command Window inside the folder.
6. Type the following commands without the quotation marks:
a. "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-mako.img"
7. After the installation, choose Recovery mode from the menu.
8. Inside the Recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup for the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup." Restore the ROM whenever needed.
9. Flash the rooting zip file on the device. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the SuperSU zip file > confirm installation."
10. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu then select "reboot system now."
LG Nexus 4 will reboot and may take three to five minutes before reaching the home screen. For verification of root access, download the Root Checker at the Google Play Store.
If you have errors or issues, send your feedback to Team Android official rooting page for LG Nexus 4.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China