Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on LG Nexus 4 Running Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P Firmware
By Ryan Inoyori | July 3, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Users who installed the Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P firmware on the LG Nexus 4 can still regain root access using SuperSU app and install a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP. Here are the requirements and steps in order to do it.
1. Create a manual backup of all data files and personal settings stored on Nexus 4.
2. The battery level must be at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption.
3. Enable USB debugging mode on Nexus 4 located at the Settings menu.
4. Download and install the necessary USB drivers for the smartphone on the computer.
5. Unlock the bootloader of the LG Nexus 4 to install the rooting app.
7. Download the Fastboot tools on the computer appropriate to its operating system:
a. Windows Fastboot tools.
b. MAC Fastboot tools.
c. Linux Fastboot tools.
8. Download the SuperSU version 2.00 to the computer.
Warning: We are not responsible for any issues which may occur on the Nexus 4. Read and follow the instructions properly to avoid errors to happen. Do this at your own risk.
Gaining Root Access:
1. Extract the Fastboot tool to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory on the computer. The directory will appear after setting up the Android SDK.
2. Transfer the files of the custom recovery chosen to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" on the computer.
3. Connect the Nexus 4 to the computer using a USB cable then copy and paste the SuperSU file on the internal storage.
4. Turn off the smartphone then reboot into Bootloader mode. Press and hold the volume down and power keys at the same time till you see some text on the display. Nexus 4 should remain connected via USB cable.
5. On the computer, find the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory then open a Command Window inside the folder.
6. Type the following commands without the quotation marks:
a. "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-mako.img"
7. After the installation, choose Recovery mode from the menu.
8. Inside the Recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup for the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup." Restore the ROM whenever needed.
9. Flash the rooting zip file on the device. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the SuperSU zip file > confirm installation."
10. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu then select "reboot system now."
LG Nexus 4 will reboot and may take three to five minutes before reaching the home screen. For verification of root access, download the Root Checker at the Google Play Store.
If you have errors or issues, send your feedback to Team Android official rooting page for LG Nexus 4.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft