Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on LG Nexus 4 Running Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P Firmware
By Ryan Inoyori | July 3, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Users who installed the Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P firmware on the LG Nexus 4 can still regain root access using SuperSU app and install a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP. Here are the requirements and steps in order to do it.
1. Create a manual backup of all data files and personal settings stored on Nexus 4.
2. The battery level must be at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption.
3. Enable USB debugging mode on Nexus 4 located at the Settings menu.
4. Download and install the necessary USB drivers for the smartphone on the computer.
5. Unlock the bootloader of the LG Nexus 4 to install the rooting app.
7. Download the Fastboot tools on the computer appropriate to its operating system:
a. Windows Fastboot tools.
b. MAC Fastboot tools.
c. Linux Fastboot tools.
8. Download the SuperSU version 2.00 to the computer.
Warning: We are not responsible for any issues which may occur on the Nexus 4. Read and follow the instructions properly to avoid errors to happen. Do this at your own risk.
Gaining Root Access:
1. Extract the Fastboot tool to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory on the computer. The directory will appear after setting up the Android SDK.
2. Transfer the files of the custom recovery chosen to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" on the computer.
3. Connect the Nexus 4 to the computer using a USB cable then copy and paste the SuperSU file on the internal storage.
4. Turn off the smartphone then reboot into Bootloader mode. Press and hold the volume down and power keys at the same time till you see some text on the display. Nexus 4 should remain connected via USB cable.
5. On the computer, find the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory then open a Command Window inside the folder.
6. Type the following commands without the quotation marks:
a. "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-mako.img"
7. After the installation, choose Recovery mode from the menu.
8. Inside the Recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup for the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup." Restore the ROM whenever needed.
9. Flash the rooting zip file on the device. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the SuperSU zip file > confirm installation."
10. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu then select "reboot system now."
LG Nexus 4 will reboot and may take three to five minutes before reaching the home screen. For verification of root access, download the Root Checker at the Google Play Store.
If you have errors or issues, send your feedback to Team Android official rooting page for LG Nexus 4.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers