New Vatican Envoy to UN is a Filipino Archbishop
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 3, 2014 12:34 PM EST
Pope Francis has selected Filipino Archbishop Bernardito Cleopas Auza to become Vatican City's permanent representative to the United Nations in New York. Auza is the first ever Filipino to represent the Holy See at the global body.
Pope Francis chats with Spain's King Felipe (L) and Queen Letizia during a private audience at the Vatican June 30, 2014. REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi (VATICAN - Tags: RELIGION POLITICS ROYALS)
Auza succeeds Archbishop Francis Chullikatt, who was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI in 2010. He becomes the second non-Italian, after Chullikatt, to be named as Vatican's Permanent Representative to the UN.
According to the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), Auza was Apostolic Nuncio to Haiti and also Apostolic Administrator of the capital city Porte-au-Prince after the magnitude 7.0 earthquake in 2010.
He was described as a "career diplomat, having worked at various diplomatic posts."
"His first was in Madagascar and the South Indian Ocean in 1990 to 1993. He was a member of the Permanent Mission of the Holy See to the UN before assuming his post in Haiti," the CBCP said.
As permanent observer of the Holy See to the UN, Auza is required to follow "attentively and with interest the work of the United Nations Organization."
"In this forum, the Holy See Mission communicates the centuries' experience of the Catholic Church to humanity, and places this experience at the disposal of the United Nations to assist it in its realization of peace, justice, human dignity, and humanitarian cooperation and assistance," the official Web site of the Permanent Observer Mission of the Holy See to the UN noted.
Auza was already a nuncio to Haiti when the deadly January 2010 earthquake struck and devastated much of western Haiti. At least 316,000 people died in that temblor.
According to the Catholic News Service, Auza helped in directing relief money from the Vatican and other Church sources to local needs. He also assisted making key decisions on project priorities and spent funds transparently by setting up an independent "inspection" commission.
"We have to start the reconstruction with very solid principles to avoid confusion and disappointments and ill feelings of those who are willing to help," he was quoted a month after the quake.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- Porsche, Pope, Sistine Chapel and The Godfather
- Not In This Lifetime: Vatican Still Not Open To The Idea, Realities Of Gays
- ISIS Has New Enemy, Hunted Down by White Shroud Guerillas in Syria
- Vatican Hints Acceptance Of Homosexuals, Contraceptives, Divorce And Remarriage
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks