Five Fourth of July Movies to Inspire You This Holiday
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 3, 2014 12:03 PM EST
The Fourth of July is here again. The independence day of the United States has inspired several movies in the past. The basic theme of patriotism and pride became the undertone of films, sometimes discreetly and sometimes candidly. While the Independence Day celebrations may get threatened by Hurricane Arthur, several Americans may prefer staying inside and watching a movie which inspires them. Here is list of films which may help you choose one for the occasion.
Marco Diaz (L), of Mexico and Yusif Osekre of Ghana hold the American flag as they take the Oath of Allegiance which was administered to 1,094 new American citizens during a special naturalization swearing ceremony at Turner Field stadium in Atlanta, Georgia July 2, 2014. The candidates originated from 81 different countries during the ceremony which is part of Atlanta's 4th of July festivities.
Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
This Oliver Stone movie stars Tom Hanks who was nominated for the Academy Awards for the first time for this performance. The movie shows how one has to fight for one's country to make it a better place. BFJ is a reminder of the ideals the United States is built with. This is a must-watch if you are looking for some inspiration on this day.
The Patriot (2000)
This Roland Emmerich movie stars Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger. This movie probably brings the best of Gibson. The movie is one of the best movies set during the Revolutionary War. Even though the film is often criticised for historical inaccuracies, the movie is meant for inspirational treatment rather than a historical one.
The John G. Avildsen created an overnight star out of Sylvester Stallone who also wrote the screenplay of the movie. No studio was interested in casting Stallone for the role as he was an unknown face during those days. Just like Rocky Balboa, the protagonist of the movie, this is a "rags to riches" American Dream story of Stallone himself as well. One of the most inspirational movies of all time, "Rocky" inspires you to believe in the beauty of your dreams.
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
If you are in the mood of going down memory lane and watching some black and white classic, you must choose this one. The Michael Curtiz movie stars James Cagney who plays George M. Cohan in the movie. In this biopic of the performer, you'll find enough inspiration. This is another "rags to riches" story of the great American Dream, and you can never get enough of it.
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
This Robert Mulligan movie stars Gregory Peck as lawyer Atticus Finch who fights for a black man (played by Brock Peters) accused of raping a white girl. The movie deals with racism and how to deal with it. This movie is equally relevant in modern times. Watch it for some brilliant performances in a movie which is considered to be one of the greatest movies ever made.
What is your favourite Fourth of July movie? Use the comments section below to express yourself.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 15-19, 2014: Ava And Morgan Talk About The Baby
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- Paul Walker's Daughter Paid Heart Touching Tribute To Her Father On His Birthday
- Kim Kardashian-West Frantically Tries For Second Baby To Match Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Timeline
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica