New App Measures Entire Room With 'Project Tango' Devices
By Naveena Joy | July 3, 2014 11:36 AM EST
Google has rolled out a new tablet and smartphone hardware called "Project Tango."
According to BGR, the project team took more than a year to create smartphones and tablets with complex series of sensors that can use a camera to quickly scan and build a 3D map of the interior of any room.
To make it more useful, a third-party developer released an incredible mobile app which makes Tango work perfectly. The VentureBeat reported Smart Picture, a Texan-based start up, created this app that uses Project Tango hardware as a tool to measure the contents of the room.
The app was shown during a session at the Google I/O conference. To use the Smart Picture's app, it is required to click every angle using a 3D mapping-capable camera. The app will provide a set of tools that will specify what should be measured. The app then delivers the measurement through a cloud-based platform.
Most smartphones can take only static, 2D pictures, but a 3D mapping camera can record the entire shape of an object or a scene. The technology is nothing new, but it has been available at the expensive side. But in Google Tango devices, 3D imaging is very cheap.
According to VentureBeat, Smart Picture plans to license its technology to businesses in the home improvement and insurant industries to provide measurement as a service.
The revenue will be generated through partnership between Smart Picture and its business clients. These clients would be accessing a limited version of the smart measurement for free and more advanced features but they would require a paid subscription. Smart Picture would take a cut from the payment.
Also, the VentureBeat further reported Smart Picture is not the only company that provides quick measurements through 3D imaging tech within Google Tango hardware.
There are companies like the Montreal-based software publisher Sensopia, which has the new MagicPlan service that focuses on surveying a venue or a building and creating a thorough indoor map, including room measurements and displays the shape of the room.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS