Brooklyn Nets Tap Lionel Hollins as Head Coach, Jason Kidd Replacement
By James Patrick Quizon | July 3, 2014 9:53 AM EST
The Brooklyn Nets are immediately moving on after the often troubled and always controversial Jason Kidd era by hiring veteran mentor Lionel Hollins as head coach. Brooklyn is reportedly offering a four-year contract worth roughly $18M.
Memphis Grizzlies head coach Lionel Hollins yells to his players during the first quarter of their NBA basketball game against the Indiana Pacers in Indianapolis, Indiana in this file photo taken December 31, 2012. The Brooklyn Nets on Wednesday agreed in principle to a deal making Hollins their next head coach after the departure of Jason Kidd. Hollins' deal could be worth as much as four years and $20 million if the team picks up his fourth-year option, ESPN.com reported.
Marc Stein of ESPN.COM tweeted the update on the Nets coaching front:
Nets closing in on the hiring of Lionel Hollins, ESPN has learned. Deal is expected to be completed today
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 2, 2014
While the Nets official twitter account confirmed the deal late early Thursday:
The Brooklyn Nets have reached an agreement in principle with Lionel Hollins to become the team's new head coach. — Brooklyn Nets (@BrooklynNets) July 2, 2014
The 60-year-old is a former all star who was named to the All-Star team once and a member of the 1976-77 champion team Portland Trail Blazers.
He paid his dues as an assistant coach for Arizona State in college and Phoenix Suns from 1985 to 1995 before landing an interim head coaching job with Vancouver Grizzlies in 1999-2000. When the franchise moved to Memphis, Hollins was hired again as an interim coach in 2004.
Hollins finally got his big break in 2008 when he was named the head coach. He led the squad to a 41-25 record in the lockout-shortened season in 2011-2012 for the franchise’s best winning percentage in their history. He was replaced by rookie coach Dave Joerger in the 2012-2013 season despite leading the squad to the Western Conference Finals in the postseason that year.
Hollins will take over a Nets’ coaching position previously held by Kidd, who was embroiled in a big controversy involving an apparent power grab with general manager Billy King.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble