Brooklyn Nets Tap Lionel Hollins as Head Coach, Jason Kidd Replacement
By James Patrick Quizon | July 3, 2014 9:53 AM EST
The Brooklyn Nets are immediately moving on after the often troubled and always controversial Jason Kidd era by hiring veteran mentor Lionel Hollins as head coach. Brooklyn is reportedly offering a four-year contract worth roughly $18M.
Memphis Grizzlies head coach Lionel Hollins yells to his players during the first quarter of their NBA basketball game against the Indiana Pacers in Indianapolis, Indiana in this file photo taken December 31, 2012. The Brooklyn Nets on Wednesday agreed in principle to a deal making Hollins their next head coach after the departure of Jason Kidd. Hollins' deal could be worth as much as four years and $20 million if the team picks up his fourth-year option, ESPN.com reported.
Marc Stein of ESPN.COM tweeted the update on the Nets coaching front:
Nets closing in on the hiring of Lionel Hollins, ESPN has learned. Deal is expected to be completed today
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 2, 2014
While the Nets official twitter account confirmed the deal late early Thursday:
The Brooklyn Nets have reached an agreement in principle with Lionel Hollins to become the team's new head coach. — Brooklyn Nets (@BrooklynNets) July 2, 2014
The 60-year-old is a former all star who was named to the All-Star team once and a member of the 1976-77 champion team Portland Trail Blazers.
He paid his dues as an assistant coach for Arizona State in college and Phoenix Suns from 1985 to 1995 before landing an interim head coaching job with Vancouver Grizzlies in 1999-2000. When the franchise moved to Memphis, Hollins was hired again as an interim coach in 2004.
Hollins finally got his big break in 2008 when he was named the head coach. He led the squad to a 41-25 record in the lockout-shortened season in 2011-2012 for the franchise’s best winning percentage in their history. He was replaced by rookie coach Dave Joerger in the 2012-2013 season despite leading the squad to the Western Conference Finals in the postseason that year.
Hollins will take over a Nets’ coaching position previously held by Kidd, who was embroiled in a big controversy involving an apparent power grab with general manager Billy King.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Daley Blind Is 'Not Strong Enough' For The Premier League - Scholes
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How