Brooklyn Nets Tap Lionel Hollins as Head Coach, Jason Kidd Replacement
By James Patrick Quizon | July 3, 2014 9:53 AM EST
The Brooklyn Nets are immediately moving on after the often troubled and always controversial Jason Kidd era by hiring veteran mentor Lionel Hollins as head coach. Brooklyn is reportedly offering a four-year contract worth roughly $18M.
Memphis Grizzlies head coach Lionel Hollins yells to his players during the first quarter of their NBA basketball game against the Indiana Pacers in Indianapolis, Indiana in this file photo taken December 31, 2012. The Brooklyn Nets on Wednesday agreed in principle to a deal making Hollins their next head coach after the departure of Jason Kidd. Hollins' deal could be worth as much as four years and $20 million if the team picks up his fourth-year option, ESPN.com reported.
Marc Stein of ESPN.COM tweeted the update on the Nets coaching front:
Nets closing in on the hiring of Lionel Hollins, ESPN has learned. Deal is expected to be completed today
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 2, 2014
While the Nets official twitter account confirmed the deal late early Thursday:
The Brooklyn Nets have reached an agreement in principle with Lionel Hollins to become the team's new head coach. — Brooklyn Nets (@BrooklynNets) July 2, 2014
The 60-year-old is a former all star who was named to the All-Star team once and a member of the 1976-77 champion team Portland Trail Blazers.
He paid his dues as an assistant coach for Arizona State in college and Phoenix Suns from 1985 to 1995 before landing an interim head coaching job with Vancouver Grizzlies in 1999-2000. When the franchise moved to Memphis, Hollins was hired again as an interim coach in 2004.
Hollins finally got his big break in 2008 when he was named the head coach. He led the squad to a 41-25 record in the lockout-shortened season in 2011-2012 for the franchise’s best winning percentage in their history. He was replaced by rookie coach Dave Joerger in the 2012-2013 season despite leading the squad to the Western Conference Finals in the postseason that year.
Hollins will take over a Nets’ coaching position previously held by Kidd, who was embroiled in a big controversy involving an apparent power grab with general manager Billy King.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates