Sex and the Athlete: Elimination of All Soccer Teams in World Cup 2014 that Forbade Sex Raises More Question If Sex & Sports Mix
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 3, 2014 9:28 AM EST
The long-held belief in the athletic world that sportsmen should abstain from sex during completion appears to have been proven false, based on the performance of the teams that are participating in the ongoing World Cup 2014 games in Brazil.
England's Wayne Rooney (L) and Italy's Giorgio Chiellini fight for the ball during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Amazonia arena in Manaus June 14, 2014.
On one hand, the four teams that banned their players from having sex during the competition - Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Chile and Mexico - have been eliminated and no longer qualify for the championship, observed Time. But at the same time, other teams such as Italy, Spain, Switzerland and England that allowed their team members to enjoy sex before the games were also eliminated.
However, teams with conditions attached to sex yielded mixed results. Still in the running for the championship trophy are Brazil which allows intimacy, except acrobatic sex, Costa Rica which allowed sex during the first round but banned it in the second round and France which only banned all-night sex. But Nigeria, which permits players to have sex with their wives but not girlfriends, has also been eliminated.
But overall results indicate that "Much of whatever coaches think they know about the relationship between sexual release and athletic performance, however, is myth," wrote The Guardian's Terri Fisher who is a sex researcher.
She pushed for funding and more support to secure more and better empirical research on sexuality, noting the absence of research-based evidence that sexual activity is harmful to athletic performance.
Fisher concluded that "Ultimately, it matters little whether players can engage in sex during the World Cup - or hook up all over the Olympic village - but the motley mixture of rules provides a microcosm of what can happen in the absence of solid data. When myths and stereotypes are more influential than research findings."
Meanwhile, sex during international games is not just between the players and their partners, but also between tourists and local sex worker which the Brazilian government also has to tackle.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Black Holes Are The Celebrities of Astronomy
- Interstellar Dust Discovered Inside NASA Spacecraft May be Alien Visitors [Watch Video]
- Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- US, Canada Labour Activists ‘Block the Boat for Gaza’ Succeed in Blocking Docking of Israeli Ship in California Port
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Larger 5.5inch iPhone 6 Variant Will Roll Out in the Market as ‘iPhone 6L’
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff