Only 13% of Aussies Trust Political Parties
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 3, 2014 9:24 AM EST
Similar to the situation in many countries, political parties and politicians are the least liked institutions in Australia. Only 13 per cent of Aussies trust the political parties, while the most trusted institution is the High Court,
Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott (L) talks to a guest during a lunch meeting in Shanghai April 11, 2014. REUTERS/Carlos Barria
Actually, the 13 per cent response of 1,835 survey respondents in the poll made by Essential is a 1 per cent improvement for political parties compared to its previous survey in March 2013. It was the only growth, while other institutions logged declines, but they still enjoyed higher public trust compared to political parties.
After the High Court came the ABC with 54 per cent, down 16 per cent; the Reserve Bank at 52 per cent, down 12 per cent; environmental groups at 31 per cent, down 10 per cent; religious organisations at 26 per cent, down 1 per cent; federal parliament at 25 per cent, down 9 per cent; business groups at 22 per cent, down 9 per cent; and unions at 22 per cent, down 3 per cent.
The report also asked the question which party would they vote if there is an election today, and the Liberals and National parties got 40 per cent support, still the highest but down from 45.6 per cent after the September 2013 federal election, while Labor's support rose to 38 per cent from 33.4 per cent. The Greens showed a slight improvement to 8 per cent from 8.6 per cent as well as the Palmer United Party at 6 per cent from 5.5 per cent.
The data indicated that with its gain of 4.6 per cent, Labor is regaining the trust of Australians slightly slower than the 5.6 per cent loss of trust by the Coalition.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How