Lynas Moves HQ to KL from Sydney to Cut Costs; Fires Contractual Employees
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 3, 2014 9:22 AM EST
Despite the recent protest against the operation of its rare earths facility in Malaysia, Australian miner Lynas said on Wednesday that it would move the company's headquarter to Kuala Lumpur from Sydney to cut costs.
The decision would bring the Lynas management closer to its production and sales facility in Western Australia and Malaysia, said new Lynas Chief Executive Amanda Lacaze.
Included in the cost-cutting strategy are to fire contractual workers, improve use of assets, pursue better procurement practices and renegotiate contracts with suppliers.
"This streamlining of office locations is the first in a series of initiatives aimed at simplifying our approach and focusing on the highest value drivers in our business" Lacaze said, quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald.
She disclosed that over the past quarter, the Lynas Advanced Materials Plant had encountered bottlenecks that affected production results. However, Lacaze added that the problem areas have been managed and each stage of the phase 1 plant, beginning from cracking and leaching all the way to solvent extraction and product finishing, have been individually operated at target capacity for that quarter.
She added that the shift of corporate headquarters would not change its listing in the Australian Stock Exchange.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report