Lynas Moves HQ to KL from Sydney to Cut Costs; Fires Contractual Employees
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 3, 2014 9:22 AM EST
Despite the recent protest against the operation of its rare earths facility in Malaysia, Australian miner Lynas said on Wednesday that it would move the company's headquarter to Kuala Lumpur from Sydney to cut costs.
The decision would bring the Lynas management closer to its production and sales facility in Western Australia and Malaysia, said new Lynas Chief Executive Amanda Lacaze.
Included in the cost-cutting strategy are to fire contractual workers, improve use of assets, pursue better procurement practices and renegotiate contracts with suppliers.
"This streamlining of office locations is the first in a series of initiatives aimed at simplifying our approach and focusing on the highest value drivers in our business" Lacaze said, quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald.
She disclosed that over the past quarter, the Lynas Advanced Materials Plant had encountered bottlenecks that affected production results. However, Lacaze added that the problem areas have been managed and each stage of the phase 1 plant, beginning from cracking and leaching all the way to solvent extraction and product finishing, have been individually operated at target capacity for that quarter.
She added that the shift of corporate headquarters would not change its listing in the Australian Stock Exchange.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Perfume Maker Elizabeth Arden Blames Poor Q4 Financial Results on Justin Bieber Scent
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6