Lynas Moves HQ to KL from Sydney to Cut Costs; Fires Contractual Employees
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 3, 2014 9:22 AM EST
Despite the recent protest against the operation of its rare earths facility in Malaysia, Australian miner Lynas said on Wednesday that it would move the company's headquarter to Kuala Lumpur from Sydney to cut costs.
The decision would bring the Lynas management closer to its production and sales facility in Western Australia and Malaysia, said new Lynas Chief Executive Amanda Lacaze.
Included in the cost-cutting strategy are to fire contractual workers, improve use of assets, pursue better procurement practices and renegotiate contracts with suppliers.
"This streamlining of office locations is the first in a series of initiatives aimed at simplifying our approach and focusing on the highest value drivers in our business" Lacaze said, quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald.
She disclosed that over the past quarter, the Lynas Advanced Materials Plant had encountered bottlenecks that affected production results. However, Lacaze added that the problem areas have been managed and each stage of the phase 1 plant, beginning from cracking and leaching all the way to solvent extraction and product finishing, have been individually operated at target capacity for that quarter.
She added that the shift of corporate headquarters would not change its listing in the Australian Stock Exchange.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Sears Outlet Black Friday 2014 Sale Includes Up To 60% Off On All Refrigerators And Up To 50% Off On All Washers And Dryers
- Walgreens Black Friday 2014 Sale Includes Online Deals And Savings Of Up To 25% Off On Regularly Priced Items Such As Designer Fragrances For Him And Her And Salon Hair Care Products
- JC Penney Black Friday 2014 Sale Includes Doorbusters And Big Buys For Select Liz Claiborne Apparel And Men's Dockers Signature Khaki Pants
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast