Nick Kyrgios’ Style Belittled By Rafael Nadal’s Coach After Wimbledon Open Shocker
By Lou Imperial | July 3, 2014 9:10 AM EST
Nick Kyrgios' upset victory over world's no.1 Rafael Nadal in the fourth round of the Wimbledon Open left an impression that is going to be remembered on the fabled grass of All-England tennis club for a long time.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts during his men's singles tennis match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
But Nadal's uncle and coach, Toni Nadal, had a different opinion, as he criticized the Aussie Teen's playing style and called it a lottery.
In an interview after Nadal 6-7, 7-5, 6-7, 6-3 loss to Kyrgios, the ever controversial uncle of the 14-time Grand Slam champ did not waste time downplaying the Aussie's epic victory over his nephew.
Toni, who served not only Rafael's coach but his most ardent defender, believed the two-time Wimbledon Open champion had a better performance this year than he had the past two years at All-England club.
However, the elder Nadal stressed his ward's sudden exit at the hands of the big-serving Kyrgios should not be given importance too much, because the Aussie was entirely depended on the big serves.
"Rafael's level of play was rather good this year at Wimbledon, with better feeling and movement than last year. But it's not that easy when you know that is going to be a lottery against Kyrgios," Toni Nadal said in the interview via Tennis Tonic.
The coach added that it was frustrating from a spectator standpoint to see a kind of tennis match with less rallies. He thinks it's way better to watch the games of Roger Federer, Grigor Dimitrov, and Novak Djokovic than spending three hours just to watch a match dominated with aces.
The 19-year old Kyrgios dropped 37 aces against Nadal in their match, though he also showed his ability to get big winners in rallies - including a between the legs shot that could end up as the best play of the year.
On Wednesday, the Aussie saw his campaign come to an end after losing to another big server in Canadian Milos Raonic 7-6, 2-6, 4-6, 6-7 in the quarterfinal round. Still, his stunner against Nadal is considered by many as a statement that the teen is going to stick around as a relevant figure in Grand Slam tennis for the next several years.
Meanwhile, the 28-year old Nadal heads into the US hardcourt circuit with lots of question hovering over. The Mallocan Bull is set to play at the Rogers Cup and Cincinnati Masters before flying to Queens, New York, where he's going to defend his US Open championship.
For more Rafael Nadal and Tennis News, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]