Nick Kyrgios’ Style Belittled By Rafael Nadal’s Coach After Wimbledon Open Shocker
By Lou Imperial | July 3, 2014 9:10 AM EST
Nick Kyrgios' upset victory over world's no.1 Rafael Nadal in the fourth round of the Wimbledon Open left an impression that is going to be remembered on the fabled grass of All-England tennis club for a long time.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts during his men's singles tennis match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
But Nadal's uncle and coach, Toni Nadal, had a different opinion, as he criticized the Aussie Teen's playing style and called it a lottery.
In an interview after Nadal 6-7, 7-5, 6-7, 6-3 loss to Kyrgios, the ever controversial uncle of the 14-time Grand Slam champ did not waste time downplaying the Aussie's epic victory over his nephew.
Toni, who served not only Rafael's coach but his most ardent defender, believed the two-time Wimbledon Open champion had a better performance this year than he had the past two years at All-England club.
However, the elder Nadal stressed his ward's sudden exit at the hands of the big-serving Kyrgios should not be given importance too much, because the Aussie was entirely depended on the big serves.
"Rafael's level of play was rather good this year at Wimbledon, with better feeling and movement than last year. But it's not that easy when you know that is going to be a lottery against Kyrgios," Toni Nadal said in the interview via Tennis Tonic.
The coach added that it was frustrating from a spectator standpoint to see a kind of tennis match with less rallies. He thinks it's way better to watch the games of Roger Federer, Grigor Dimitrov, and Novak Djokovic than spending three hours just to watch a match dominated with aces.
The 19-year old Kyrgios dropped 37 aces against Nadal in their match, though he also showed his ability to get big winners in rallies - including a between the legs shot that could end up as the best play of the year.
On Wednesday, the Aussie saw his campaign come to an end after losing to another big server in Canadian Milos Raonic 7-6, 2-6, 4-6, 6-7 in the quarterfinal round. Still, his stunner against Nadal is considered by many as a statement that the teen is going to stick around as a relevant figure in Grand Slam tennis for the next several years.
Meanwhile, the 28-year old Nadal heads into the US hardcourt circuit with lots of question hovering over. The Mallocan Bull is set to play at the Rogers Cup and Cincinnati Masters before flying to Queens, New York, where he's going to defend his US Open championship.
For more Rafael Nadal and Tennis News, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Avoiding Fight, Always Making Excuses— Manny Pacquiao
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary