Jeremy Lin Feels Disrespected By Rockets; Melo Poster Means End of Linsanity in Houston
By Lou Imperial | July 3, 2014 9:09 AM EST
Jeremy Lin's tenure days with the Houston Rockets are now starting to tick away since the free-agency period began on July 1.
But Wednesday's scenery outside the Toyota Centre further convinced everybody that Lin is a goner in Texas, as the Rockets put up a giant poster that showed Carmelo Anthony wearing the team's no.7 uniform - the current number of the Asian American star.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
The 25-year old Lin has been linked to several trade rumors these past several months, mainly because of the Rockets' ambition to enlist another superstar to play alongside All-Star shooting guard James Harden and center Dwight Howard.
With Lin's $15 million paycheck ($8 million hit against the cap space) going to kick in this coming 2014-15 season, general manager Daryl Morey is widely expected to move the former Harvard hot shot, so he can clear enough space to accommodate a max contract.
The Rockets appeared very much determined to make their plan into reality, after already pulling off two major transactions: trading Omer Asik to New Orleans Pelicans and letting Chandler Parsons become a restricted free-agent.
These moves certainly gave the Rockets more financial leverage to sign a max player such as Anthony, LeBron James, Chris Bosh or even Dwyane Wade. However, the team is aware they still have to get Lin's contract off the books.
"The deal hinges upon whether the Rockets can acquire one of their two primary free agency targets: Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James. If they receive an agreement in principle to add one of those two, a deal involving Jeremy Lin is already securely in place in order to free up cap space," Howard Beck posted on his Twitter account via Roto World.
Lin Suddenly is Unwanted in Houston
Boosted by his remarkable play during his time with the New York Knicks, Lin headed into the summer of 2012 as one of the most coveted free-agents. The Rockets, who waived Lin on the final day before the 2011-2012 season, did everything to sign the hottest commodity in the NBA that time.
The Knicks, meanwhile, attempted to retain the service of their 'Cash Cow' but Morey's brilliance in working out nifty deals knocked out New York's chances of having Lin back with a poison-pill (back-loaded) deal.
Roughly three years later, Lin is a forgotten man in Houston. Despite putting up career-high numbers as a sixth man, he seems to be another bump in the road for the Rockets. On Wednesday, the Rockets made perhaps strongest statement in their pitch to Melo: He won't be playing with Linsanity.
Here's Lin's response to Melo Rocket poster:
Luke 6:29 - If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them
— Jeremy Lin (@JLin7) July 2, 2014
@EmodMarco im entitled to standup for myself/say i felt disrespected as i did thru tweet but point is love unconditionally/as jesus loved me — Jeremy Lin (@JLin7) July 2, 2014
Jeremy Lin's 2013-14 Highlights
For more Jeremy Lin news and NBA updates, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change