Netflix Set to Enter Australian Market to Launch 'Better' Media Streaming Services
By Sovan Mandal | July 3, 2014 8:21 AM EST
Village Roadshow has hailed the move claiming this should go a long way in curbing piracy and copyright infringement issues in the country.
People have often noted the lack of a suitable media streaming company like Netlix as the reason for committing piracy. Village Roadshow is worried about this trend, which can be considered quite natural for a company that claims to make $2.6 billion worth of films in Australia.
They believe people will be less inclined to pirate popular TV shows once they have easy access with these. But it's not yet known when exactly Netflix will be starting its Australian operations.
Co-CEO of Village Roadshow Graham Burke said those involved in habitual piracy should be served "education" notices that will make them aware of the ills of piracy or have their Internet speeds drastically reduced to discourage downloading of pirated materials.
Early rumors cited Netflix will be coming to Australia. But things are finally looking to take concrete shape this time. This also comes at a time when the Australian government is in the process of devising policies to seriously tackle the piracy menace.
Netflix will have to contend with local video streaming companies such as Ezyflix and Quickflix once it launches its services in Australia. The segment will be enormous with people seemingly not having enough of TV shows or the latest movies they now get.
Quickflix CEO Stephen Langsford allayed any fears of the business getting affected once Netflix sets up business in the country.
He said the sheer size of the market, together with a varied product mix, would be enough to keep the domestic players in contention.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon