Google's New Android Version Offers More Battery Life
By Kalyan Kumar | July 3, 2014 1:08 AM EST
The upcoming version of Google's Android will extremely be energy-efficient offering longer battery life.
A slew of developers who had access to the new software reported the battery will be superb. The ones like Ron Amadeo at Ars Technica praise how Google's new battery saver initiatives are working fine.
In this new Android OS Google has packed Project Volta, which will allow developers to plug energy leaks as and when they will occur and holes can be patched after duly identifying specific problems which may be attributed to the individual app than the OS.
Transparency issue gives the developers more control in supporting battery life. As far as users are concerned, battery saver mode will conserve power a lot and the usage will be extended by at least 90 minutes. The boost to battery life comes with tools like battery stat tracker Battery Historian and many of its application programming interfaces. They cut down leakage amazingly.
In the battery test, Amadao flashed a Nexus 5 to Android 4.4.4, the latest version of KitKat. Yet, he flashed the same device to run Android L and ran the same test. Flashing is a way of reprogramming a phone's software. In Nexus 5, the battery lasted for 471 minutes while being at Android L compared to 345 minutes of KitKat. That showed a 35 percent increase in the battery life.
Android smartphones are powerful but battery life can weaken. Several factors play in reducing the gadget endurance. Thinner designs curtail the room for batteries. Also the brighter screens, faster processors and GPS radios drain the power. The transition from 3G to 4G also took its toll.
Some tips can control the flow of juice from your Android device.
Turn unnecessary hardware radios off
If your phone has a power control widget, use it to turn on/off GPS, Wi-Fi and LTE.
From Settings > Apps stop apps not required in the background all the time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 New Release Imminent as Apple Enters Mid-August Production with New 24-Karat Gold iPhone 6
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects