Microsoft Smartband With Fuelband-Like Design Launching in October
By Naveena Joy | July 3, 2014 12:54 AM EST
Smartwatches are currently popular. Companies, like Google, have officially launched two of their smartwatches at the Google I/O releasing Android Wear SDK to developers.
Rumors claimed Microsoft will also be introducing its smartwatches line along with other players in the market. Forbes magazine reported Microsoft is developing a cross-platform smartwatch capable of continuously tracking heart rate and syncing the data to the device.
Tom's Hardware confirmed the rumor that it will be cross-platform compatible and will be running smoothly with Android, iOS and Windows Phone handsets.
Tom's Hardware also reported the display is inside the wrist rather than the traditional outer wrist placement, giving it a natural feel while turning the palm up to look at the watch. It would also enable users to guard their sensitive information and notifications from other people.
With regard to the structure of the smartwatch, it avoids the bulky look commonly found in most of the current smartwatches like Gear, G Watch and Toq. In comparison, Microsoft features a slim band design resembling thinner and flatter version of the Nike Fuelband.
The details of the smartwatch hardware Microsoft are limited, although Tom's Hardware cited there are 11 sensors under the hood, including a mix of chips along with some from TI and Atmel.
As mentioned earlier, the device will be cross-platform compatible and there would also be open APIs and the interface is pretty "slick."
Previous reports suggested Microsoft would launch its new category device in summer. Tom's Hardware said the release for the device is apparently set for October, which is a bit later.
There is still confusion regarding the details reported as when Microsoft was contacted for verification of these new details by Tom's Hardware.
A Microsoft spokesman said "the company does not comment on rumors or speculation." The company actually didn't comment on any of smartwatch rumors available.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories