Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Goes for a Rematch With Maidana on Sept 13
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 2, 2014 10:45 PM EST
Although unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr has not yet officially named the opponent of his Sept 3 bout, ESPN reported that it would be a rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana whom Money May beat two months ago.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
ESPN quoted Mayweather's interview with La Ten Media on Sunday night at the BET Awards when the boxer said, "Sept 13, back to business, Marcos Maidana-Floyd Mayweather, part II."
But Sebastian Contursi, manager of Maidana, said there was no deal yet, although he is also talking to Al Haymon who is advising both Mayweather and Miadana.
However, Showtime Sports boss Stephen Espinoza and Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe confirmed Mayweather's statement.
Previously, there were talks that Mayweather has limited his choice of opponent to British boxer Amir Khan and American boxer Miguel Sotto. During Mayweather's May 3 match against Maidana, there were questions about his win not being convincing which led to offering Maidana a rematch.
But if it were up to the father of Mayweather, he is against a rematch because he finds Maidana to be a dirty fighter, citing incidents of intentional headbutt and below-the-belt hits, which the Argentinean boxer denied.
A formal confirmation from Mayweather would be another round of disappointment for Khan whom he ditched in favour of Maidana for the May 3 bout. Just over the weekend, Khan had said he wants to fight Pacquiao and then Mayweather.
To contact the editor, e-mail: