Apple Inc. Fourth in FutureBrand Top 100 Index; Voice Messaging Seen as Killer iWatch App
By Reissa Su | July 2, 2014 7:17 PM EST
Apple Inc. has been beaten by Google, Microsoft and Walt Disney in the FutureBrand Top 100 Index. Consumers were asked to rate brands based on their experiences. Research firm Futurebrand seeks to "define and deliver future brand experiences."
The Apple logo is pictured at a retail store in the Marina neighborhood in San Francisco, California April 23, 2014.
According to its list, Google was rated first followed by Microsoft as top strong brands. Apple, the world's most respected brand according to institutions, came in fourth place after Walt Disney. The firm gathered its data from the 3,030 informed consumers in17 countries.
FutureBrand said it uses "adaptive conjoint analysis" in ranking the current and future trends, strengths and weaknesses affecting the different regions and industries. The Top 100 Index is based on consumers' brand perception. FutureBrand asked consumers if a brand has built a strong emotional connection, provided an engaging experience, made lives better, had a clear vision of the future, redefined a category and delivered a sustainable value.
Among the top 10 brands in FutureBrand's list, most were composed of tech companies with Samsung and Intel following Apple in the rankings. According to the research firm, the brand of tomorrow has "strong perceptions of its purpose in the world with the experience it delivers."
FutureBrand global head of technology Tom Adams said the brands shown in the Top 100 Index are "able to transcend the positions dictated by opinions of their financial worth."
Voice messaging a "killer app"
Meanwhile, analysts still consider Apple stock a "buy" with a price target of $100. Steven Milunovich, a UBS Securities analyst, said a voice-messaging app may become a "defining feature" in Apple's rumoured iWatch.
Apple Inc. is widely expected to release a wearable device as the industry is projected to grow with the entry of Google's Android Wear. The iWatch is said to focus on health and fitness applications. According to Milunovich, health applications are still considered as significant selling points for the iWatch, but he believes a voice messaging app could make Apple's wearable device "big."
In Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in June, the company launched voice messaging capabilities to the Messages app running on iOS 8. With iOS 7, users can dictate a message, but it will be sent and received as text. The iOS 8 can enable users to record a voice message by touching a new microphone button, record a message and send it as a voice message.
The analyst believes giving the iWatch the same ability makes sense since it will make it easier for users to send a voice message from a device already on their wrists while pulling out their iPhones from their pockets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales