Robert Downey Jr. Son Indio Arrested on Cocaine Possession, Actor Thanks Police for Intervention
By Riza Ornos | July 2, 2014 6:13 PM EST
Like father like son, Robert Downey Jr. son Indio was arrested in West Hollywood for cocaine possession and has been released on bail since his vehicle was stopped around 2 P.M. on Sunday. For a father who has been on that road before, the "Iron Man" actor is having a tough time but thanked the police department for their intervention.
"Downey was found to be in possession of what officers believed to be cocaine as well as a smoking pipe," according to West Hollywood Sheriff's Station Sgt. Dave Valentine in an interview with CNN adding that they arrested the 20-year-old at the intersection of La Cienega Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard. "Downey was arrested for possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia, and posted bail around 9 p.m. that same evening."
Known for his well-publicized drug issues in the 90's, the older Downey released a statement for his son's arrest and posted $10,000 bail for Indio. "Unfortunately there's a genetic component to addiction and Indio has likely inherited it," the actor said in the statement to the Daily News on Monday, June 30.
"Also, there is a lot of family support and understanding, and we're all determined to rally behind him and help him become the man he's capable of being," he added. "We're grateful to the Sheriff's department for their intervention, and believe Indio can be another recovery success story instead of a cautionary tale."
Thanks to his father's widely known addiction, Indio's arrest is now a worldwide news that everybody is talking about. In his prepared speech, the Hollywood A-list actor lamented that his son is afflicted by his same curse but like any success story Downey made a comeback and made box office hits like "Avengers" and "Iron Man."
Addicted to drugs since he was eight, Ask Men reports that the actor got his first hit of weed when he was six-years-old when his father gave him his first taste of drugs, a decision he regretted in an interview with CNN. He was sentenced to prison for three years for breaking parole related to a prior conviction.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft