How Obesity, Which Causes Asthma, Can Be Tackled With the Right Diet
By Smitha Nambiar | July 2, 2014 5:27 PM EST
The link between obesity and asthma is comparatively new and the research is still ongoing to confirm the connection between the two. While weight loss is the easiest explanation for those suffering from obesity-related asthma, a well balanced nutritious diet too can not only help in losing weight but also assist in fighting asthma.
According to researchers at the Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC), leptin, a hormone and a protein made by fat cells, responsible for bone mass and energy metabolism, also manages and regulates airway diameter. It is found that extremely high or low body weight leads to bad lung function and bronchoconstriction. One of the findings by few of the reputed doctors from across the globe stresses on the fact that since obese people have under expanded lungs, they take small breaths, which in turn make their lung airways narrower. The swelling of the airway and inflammation trigger asthma attacks.
While there are drugs and medicines to control and correct asthma in overweight people, it has also been found that a strict and well-balanced diet, rich in Vitamin C, E, B6, Quercetin, Rosmarinic Acid, Omega- 3 fats, carotenoids, magnesium and potassium goes a long way in reducing weight and controlling asthma.
Let's take a look at the diet that can help prevent asthma and control obesity...
Vitamin C: Vitamin C is found in peppers (Yellow Bell Peppers), guavas, dark green leafy vegetables, kiwi, brocolli, strawberries, citrus fruits (oranges), cooked tomatoes, peas and papaya, to name a few. A study by researchers from the Arizona State University has proved that consuming food rich in Vitamin C burn 30 per cent more fat while exercising in comparison to those who do not have food rich in Vitamin C.
Vitamin E: Few of the food rich in Vitamin E include tofu, cooked spinach, nuts, sunflower seeds, avocados, shellfish, olive oil, cooked broccoli and squash and pumpkin, among others. Along with Vitamin K, Vitamin E works together to produce red blood cells and helps in muscle function. Hence, Vitamin E helps improve the overall fitness of an individual.
Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine, can be found in sunflower seeds, pistachio nuts, cooked tuna, cooked turkey and chicken, cooked lean pork and beef, dried fruits, bananas, avocados and cooked spinach. B6 help increase metabolism and also thyroid activity, leading to higher metabolic rate. This, in turn, helps increase energy and assists in weight loss.
Quercetin: Found in many fresh fruits and vegetables (apples, onions, citrus fruits, parsley, tea and red wine among many others), Quercetin is known to prevent obesity-related illnesses.
Others: Rosmarinic acid, omega-3 fats, carotenoids, magnesium and potassium are found in sweet potato, carrots, melon, sweet red peppers, cooked peas, rice bran, bean, cooked corn and pasta, among many others.
The various fruits, vegetables and nuts listed here are known not only for preventing and controlling asthma and obesity, but it can also save life and prevent cancer and other heart-related illnesses.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date