HTC Android L Update Schedule: Devices to Receive the Android L Revealed
By Karla Danica Figuerres | July 2, 2014 5:07 PM EST
Customers look at HTC smartphones in a mobile phone shop in Taipei in this July 30, 2013 file photo. Taiwanese smartphone vendor HTC Corp said on May 6, 2014 it projects revenue in April-June to almost match that of a year earlier thanks primarily to sales of new flagship One M8 beating those of its predecessor.
According to the HTC Android L update schedule that leaked through LlabTooFeR and xdadevelopers, it appears that all of the 2014 and 2013 HTC devices will receive the much anticipated Android L update. This means that the HTC One M8, HTC One M7 will have the Android L update as well as the various variants such as Google Play Edition, HTC One M8 Ace and HTC One Mini 2 among others. .
LlabTooFeR reveals that the system requirements of the Android L are not known yet. Thus far, all we have is the Android L developer's preview, which is only available to install to the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2013). At this point, the HTC devices are still in their evaluation period hence, the update is expected to come in October or December.
LlabTooFeR is examining a number of devices, which include the HTC One M8, HTC One M8 One Dual SIM, HTC One Mini 2, HTC One E8 (M8 Ace), HTC One M7, One Dual SIM HTC One M7, HTAC One Max, HTC One Mini, HTC Butterfly S, HTC Desire 816 and HTC Desire 610.
Apart from the devices that will get the Android L update, the HTC Android L update schedule also reveals the HTC devices that will not receive the update. The HTC One X and the 1st gen HTC Butterfly will not get the update and according to Xdadevelopers, it appears that the HTC One M8 and HTC One M77 will go straight to the Android 4.4.4 update from Android 4.4.2 in July and August respectively.
HTC appears excited about features that will come with the Android L release as it confirms its commitment in providing updates to its flagships within 90 days after the source code has been released. But then again, the timeline of release for other devices depend on the requirements that the new Android L OS demands.
Although the Android 4.4. KitKat has been relatively lightweight, the Android L requires heavier RAM with the new Material Design philosophy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]