Disney's Zendaya Coleman Addresses Issue on Quitting Aaliyah Biopic, Explains Her Side of the Story
By nidhi tewari | July 2, 2014 4:50 PM EST
Ever since Disney star Zendaya Coleman has quit the famous biopic based on the life of late singer Aaliyah, there has been speculation in the media that the singer has quit because some critics did not find her suitable for the role. However the 17-year-old now explained her side of story and her exact reasons as to why she left the film project.
Zendaya arrives at the 2014 BET Awards in Los Angeles, California, June 29, 2014.
Zendaya made her point clear in her recent interview that her quitting the project has nothing to do with haters but she opted out because of production issues.
"I feel it was being rushed and I feel like production just wasn't there. I have too much respect and love for Aaliyah as a person to do anything less than for her. If I'm going to do something, it has to be done 120 percent right. I love her and can't wait to portray her another time when the time is right..." the teenager revealed according to Perez Hilton.
Coleman was to play the late artist in the biopic titled "Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B." However last week, Lifetime, the makers of the proposed movie, announced on Twitter that they are "sad" to let go of Coleman.
"We are sad Zendaya will no longer portray Aaliyah. Production is currently on hold," Lifetime PR announced on Twitter. The production team has reportedly faced opposition from Aaliyah's fans when they tried to secure the rights to Aaliyah's music to be used in her biopic.
Zendaya, who is a successful singer herself, was about to start the recording of some of Aaliyah's music for the movie but faced lot of hurdles. The production thought it would be best to keep the project on hold until the matter is resolved. Read more about it here.
Right from the day Zendaya was chosen to play Aaliyah, she has been in some or the other trouble. There was news in the media that Aaliyah's fans were not very happy with the choice and wanted "Pour it Up" singer Rihanna to play the part instead, Hollywood Life is reporting.
Aaliyah's parents too were not happy about the news of their daughter being projected in a television movie as they felt the biopic wasn't "big enough for her," the Web site reported.
Zendaya was roped in to play the role of late R&B singer Aaliyah, who was killed tragically in a plane crash in Bahamas at a very young age of 22. The biopic "Aaliyah: Princess Of R&B" was supposed to be a television movie and will focus on the personal life and career of the late singer. The movie, if made, will be based on a bestselling book "Aaliyah: More Than A Woman," which tells the story of her life from childhood till her untimely death.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS