To Live Longer: Don't Stop Drinking, Make It Moderate
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 2, 2014 4:36 PM EST
Consuming low to moderate quantity of alcohol plays a substantial role in reducing the risk of heart attack in adults, two recent studies have revealed.
One work (with inclusion of a comparison of 12,000 case studies), featuring 52 countries across the globe including few Scandinavian areas, thoroughly supports this new hypothesis.
Consuming low to moderate quantity of alcohol plays a substantial role in reducing the risk of heart attack in adults.
“There is now solid evidence that alcohol, when consumed on a regular basis and at low volumes (up to one drink for women and two drinks for men daily), confers protection against cardiovascular disease, whereas regular amounts of more than four to five drinks daily and heavy episodic drinking have (the) opposite effects,” wrote Drs Stefan Kiechl and Johann Willeit, neurologists at Innsbruck Medical University in Austria, in an editorial in the journal Circulation.
Interestingly, this positive role of alcohol doesn’t seem to be universal as far as the Asian subcontinent is concerned.
The finding suggests that “Compared to not drinking at all, current alcohol use was linked to a 13 percent lower risk of heart attack, on average, in almost all regions, with the exception of South Asian countries including India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh.”
Also, it remains unclear as of now whether every type of alcohol comes up with similar level of benefits. Both the papers claim that further research will be conducted to explore fresh dimensions, which in turn, will help to address quite a few relevant unanswered questions in future.
But according to both the papers, the moment the drinking habit goes one step up from moderate to heavy; it increases the risk of heart attack by many folds.
A healthy lifestyle with little fun and an adult body seems to be perfectly fine with that.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighters Have Found A Bone In Mars Amidst Reports of UFO Sighting[Watch Video]
- Facts On ALS Disease: Symptoms, Causes And Treatment
- HIV Cure: Shock-and-Kill Method Unlocks 'No Remission' Possibility for Future Treatments
- Camel Milk Holds Answer for Diabetes, Autism, Lactose Intolerance, Allergies
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch