To Live Longer: Don't Stop Drinking, Make It Moderate
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 2, 2014 4:36 PM EST
Consuming low to moderate quantity of alcohol plays a substantial role in reducing the risk of heart attack in adults, two recent studies have revealed.
One work (with inclusion of a comparison of 12,000 case studies), featuring 52 countries across the globe including few Scandinavian areas, thoroughly supports this new hypothesis.
Consuming low to moderate quantity of alcohol plays a substantial role in reducing the risk of heart attack in adults.
“There is now solid evidence that alcohol, when consumed on a regular basis and at low volumes (up to one drink for women and two drinks for men daily), confers protection against cardiovascular disease, whereas regular amounts of more than four to five drinks daily and heavy episodic drinking have (the) opposite effects,” wrote Drs Stefan Kiechl and Johann Willeit, neurologists at Innsbruck Medical University in Austria, in an editorial in the journal Circulation.
Interestingly, this positive role of alcohol doesn’t seem to be universal as far as the Asian subcontinent is concerned.
The finding suggests that “Compared to not drinking at all, current alcohol use was linked to a 13 percent lower risk of heart attack, on average, in almost all regions, with the exception of South Asian countries including India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh.”
Also, it remains unclear as of now whether every type of alcohol comes up with similar level of benefits. Both the papers claim that further research will be conducted to explore fresh dimensions, which in turn, will help to address quite a few relevant unanswered questions in future.
But according to both the papers, the moment the drinking habit goes one step up from moderate to heavy; it increases the risk of heart attack by many folds.
A healthy lifestyle with little fun and an adult body seems to be perfectly fine with that.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen