To Live Longer: Don't Stop Drinking, Make It Moderate
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 2, 2014 4:36 PM EST
Consuming low to moderate quantity of alcohol plays a substantial role in reducing the risk of heart attack in adults, two recent studies have revealed.
One work (with inclusion of a comparison of 12,000 case studies), featuring 52 countries across the globe including few Scandinavian areas, thoroughly supports this new hypothesis.
Consuming low to moderate quantity of alcohol plays a substantial role in reducing the risk of heart attack in adults.
“There is now solid evidence that alcohol, when consumed on a regular basis and at low volumes (up to one drink for women and two drinks for men daily), confers protection against cardiovascular disease, whereas regular amounts of more than four to five drinks daily and heavy episodic drinking have (the) opposite effects,” wrote Drs Stefan Kiechl and Johann Willeit, neurologists at Innsbruck Medical University in Austria, in an editorial in the journal Circulation.
Interestingly, this positive role of alcohol doesn’t seem to be universal as far as the Asian subcontinent is concerned.
The finding suggests that “Compared to not drinking at all, current alcohol use was linked to a 13 percent lower risk of heart attack, on average, in almost all regions, with the exception of South Asian countries including India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh.”
Also, it remains unclear as of now whether every type of alcohol comes up with similar level of benefits. Both the papers claim that further research will be conducted to explore fresh dimensions, which in turn, will help to address quite a few relevant unanswered questions in future.
But according to both the papers, the moment the drinking habit goes one step up from moderate to heavy; it increases the risk of heart attack by many folds.
A healthy lifestyle with little fun and an adult body seems to be perfectly fine with that.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar