University of Sydney Now Owns Westmead IVF Pty Limited
By Athena Yenko | July 2, 2014 3:22 PM EST
On July 2, the University of Sydney announced its ownership of 100 per cent shares of Westmead IVF Pty Limited, the company which operates the private fertility clinic at Westmead Hospital, of Westmead fertility. The takeover is the university's major initiative in the advancement of fertility research and treatment, the university said in a statement.
Westmead IVF Pty Limited was given to the university as a form of donation from a foundation established by an alumnus of the institution namely, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Brian Trudinger.
The university was also given a $10.4 million cash donation for the establishment of a chair in reproductive endocrinology and infertility, and the endowment of a research program in maternal foetal medicine.
With the takeover, the University will conduct world-class research in fertility involving the two phases of reproduction, falling pregnant and carrying a pregnancy to a successful outcome.
"By combining research into the beginnings of life, fertility, conception, the foetus, pregnancy and birth with a clinical facility for reproductive technology services, this gift will enable us to deepen and broaden that research and to return Australia to a position of world leadership in the field of assisted reproductive technologies," The University's Vice-Chancellor, Dr Michael Spence, said.
"What makes this gift particularly appropriate is that the University and Westmead IVF share a commitment to serving the community and to quality and equity of access. It also gives us an opportunity to work even more closely with the Western Sydney Local Health District to advance the health of the community by aligning research and clinical treatment, a model which has been clearly shown to lead to innovation and better health care for patients," Spence added.
"This gift brings together the link between clinical service, research and teaching for which Sydney Medical School and the University are renowned," The Dean of Sydney Medical School, Professor Bruce Robinson, said in gratitude.
Emeritus Professor Stephen Leeder, Board Chair of WSLHD, said the donations gives the University of Sydney and the Western Sydney Local Health District at Westmead Hospital the capacity to provide the best possible care at the beginnings of life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- Pope Francis Not Closing Doors For Talks With ISIS Despite Death Threat
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More