Contraception Mandate by Supreme Court: Obama Calls It 'Jeopardised'
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 2, 2014 2:55 PM EST
The latest verdict by the U.S. Supreme Court over birth control came as a massive blow towards Obama’s health care law. The decision given by the court scraped out an important part of the law which states the mandatory requirement of covering birth control through every kind of insurance plan.
A protester dressed as a copy of the Bible joins groups demonstrating outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington June 30, 2014
The birth control coverage mandate was challenged by the Hobby Lobby Corporation, a familiar chain of over 500 arts and crafts stores with over 16,000 employees. They didn’t approve of two contraceptives; IUDs and morning after pills as they considered them as early form of abortion.
“Today the nation’s highest court has re-affirmed the vital importance of religious liberty as one of our country’s founding principles,” Barbara Green, David Green’s wife and co-founder of Hobby Lobby, said in a statement.
The court ruled that “family-owned businesses do not have to offer their employees contraceptive coverage that conflicts with the owners’ religious beliefs.”
“Our decision in these cases is concerned solely with the contraceptive mandate,” Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. wrote for his conservative colleagues. “Our decision should not be understood to hold that an insurance coverage mandate must necessarily fall if it conflicts with an employer’s religious beliefs.”
“We believe that the owners of for-profit companies should not be allowed to assert their personal religious views to deny their employees federally mandated benefits,” Earnest was quoted as saying.
According to Professor Richard Garnett of Notre Dame Law School, Monday’s ruling gives a new expansion to RFRA (The Religious Freedom Restoration Act).
Many other noted personalities expressed their concern over the matter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown