Contraception Mandate by Supreme Court: Obama Calls It 'Jeopardised'
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 2, 2014 2:55 PM EST
The latest verdict by the U.S. Supreme Court over birth control came as a massive blow towards Obama’s health care law. The decision given by the court scraped out an important part of the law which states the mandatory requirement of covering birth control through every kind of insurance plan.
A protester dressed as a copy of the Bible joins groups demonstrating outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington June 30, 2014
The birth control coverage mandate was challenged by the Hobby Lobby Corporation, a familiar chain of over 500 arts and crafts stores with over 16,000 employees. They didn’t approve of two contraceptives; IUDs and morning after pills as they considered them as early form of abortion.
“Today the nation’s highest court has re-affirmed the vital importance of religious liberty as one of our country’s founding principles,” Barbara Green, David Green’s wife and co-founder of Hobby Lobby, said in a statement.
The court ruled that “family-owned businesses do not have to offer their employees contraceptive coverage that conflicts with the owners’ religious beliefs.”
“Our decision in these cases is concerned solely with the contraceptive mandate,” Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. wrote for his conservative colleagues. “Our decision should not be understood to hold that an insurance coverage mandate must necessarily fall if it conflicts with an employer’s religious beliefs.”
“We believe that the owners of for-profit companies should not be allowed to assert their personal religious views to deny their employees federally mandated benefits,” Earnest was quoted as saying.
According to Professor Richard Garnett of Notre Dame Law School, Monday’s ruling gives a new expansion to RFRA (The Religious Freedom Restoration Act).
Many other noted personalities expressed their concern over the matter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff