Contraception Mandate by Supreme Court: Obama Calls It 'Jeopardised'
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 2, 2014 2:55 PM EST
The latest verdict by the U.S. Supreme Court over birth control came as a massive blow towards Obama’s health care law. The decision given by the court scraped out an important part of the law which states the mandatory requirement of covering birth control through every kind of insurance plan.
A protester dressed as a copy of the Bible joins groups demonstrating outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington June 30, 2014
The birth control coverage mandate was challenged by the Hobby Lobby Corporation, a familiar chain of over 500 arts and crafts stores with over 16,000 employees. They didn’t approve of two contraceptives; IUDs and morning after pills as they considered them as early form of abortion.
“Today the nation’s highest court has re-affirmed the vital importance of religious liberty as one of our country’s founding principles,” Barbara Green, David Green’s wife and co-founder of Hobby Lobby, said in a statement.
The court ruled that “family-owned businesses do not have to offer their employees contraceptive coverage that conflicts with the owners’ religious beliefs.”
“Our decision in these cases is concerned solely with the contraceptive mandate,” Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. wrote for his conservative colleagues. “Our decision should not be understood to hold that an insurance coverage mandate must necessarily fall if it conflicts with an employer’s religious beliefs.”
“We believe that the owners of for-profit companies should not be allowed to assert their personal religious views to deny their employees federally mandated benefits,” Earnest was quoted as saying.
According to Professor Richard Garnett of Notre Dame Law School, Monday’s ruling gives a new expansion to RFRA (The Religious Freedom Restoration Act).
Many other noted personalities expressed their concern over the matter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements