NBA News: Washington Wizards Extends Marcin Gortat for Five Years
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 2, 2014 2:48 PM EST
The Washington Wizards are committed to keep the core of their 2014 playoff team intact, agreeing to a five year, $60 million deal with center Marcin Gortat.
NBA: Playoffs-Indiana Pacers at Washington Wizards
The 30-year-old Gortat was heavily influential in last year's playoff run of the Wizards averaging 13.2 points and 9.5 rebounds, highest in the team. The Polish center served as the anchor in the middle for the Wizards which finally ended a long playoff drought last season. The Wizards sent Phoenix a first round pick along with an assortment of assets in a five-player deal last year which netted them Gortat.
Yahoo! Sports reports that with the signing of Gortat coupled with the picking up of the team option of veteran guard Andre Miller and the contract extension of coach Randy Wittman, the team from the capital is practically saying it likes the make-up of last year's team and has confidence that the same group of guys can compete with the Eastern conference.
Next up to be convinced to stay will be starting small forward Trevor Ariza who has suitors from multiple teams such as the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Dallas Mavericks, Utah Jazz, Cleveland Cavaliers and Phoenix Suns, who all contacted the forward. Ariza just celebrated his 29th birthday with family and friends yesterday and present during the occasion were teammates John Wall and Al Harrington. Wall was not shy of his pitch to Ariza to stay with the team and continue the success and growth of the Wizards.
"That's my guy he know I want him back," Wall wrote in a text message.
Ariza is the team's best three point shooter last year topping at 40.7 percent, a career best. He also held the responsibility of shutting down the other team's best offensive weapons. While being a prized commodity, all of the other teams attached to Ariza are also holding out for Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James, thus his locking up into a contract may take considerable time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points