NBA News: Washington Wizards Extends Marcin Gortat for Five Years
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 2, 2014 2:48 PM EST
The Washington Wizards are committed to keep the core of their 2014 playoff team intact, agreeing to a five year, $60 million deal with center Marcin Gortat.
NBA: Playoffs-Indiana Pacers at Washington Wizards
The 30-year-old Gortat was heavily influential in last year's playoff run of the Wizards averaging 13.2 points and 9.5 rebounds, highest in the team. The Polish center served as the anchor in the middle for the Wizards which finally ended a long playoff drought last season. The Wizards sent Phoenix a first round pick along with an assortment of assets in a five-player deal last year which netted them Gortat.
Yahoo! Sports reports that with the signing of Gortat coupled with the picking up of the team option of veteran guard Andre Miller and the contract extension of coach Randy Wittman, the team from the capital is practically saying it likes the make-up of last year's team and has confidence that the same group of guys can compete with the Eastern conference.
Next up to be convinced to stay will be starting small forward Trevor Ariza who has suitors from multiple teams such as the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Dallas Mavericks, Utah Jazz, Cleveland Cavaliers and Phoenix Suns, who all contacted the forward. Ariza just celebrated his 29th birthday with family and friends yesterday and present during the occasion were teammates John Wall and Al Harrington. Wall was not shy of his pitch to Ariza to stay with the team and continue the success and growth of the Wizards.
"That's my guy he know I want him back," Wall wrote in a text message.
Ariza is the team's best three point shooter last year topping at 40.7 percent, a career best. He also held the responsibility of shutting down the other team's best offensive weapons. While being a prized commodity, all of the other teams attached to Ariza are also holding out for Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James, thus his locking up into a contract may take considerable time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air