FIFA World Cup Round of 16 Results: Argentina vs. Switzerland
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 2, 2014 1:47 PM EST
Argentina was were saved from having to go through a penalty shootout against Switzerland by La Liga pair Lionel Messi and Angel di Maria. It's not very often that one can see a Real Madrid star pair up with an FC Barcelona ace to manufacture a stunning goal to win a game. This was seen in the Spanish national team in their glory days but the failure of La Roja to make a mark in the 2014 FIFA World Cup meant that players from the famous rivals won't get a chance to show much camaraderie in this event.
Argentina's Lionel Messi refreshes himself during the 2014 World Cup Group F soccer match agaisnt Nigeria at the Beira Rio stadium in Porto Alegre June 25, 2014.
Argentina 1-0 Switzerland (Extra Time)
(Di Maria 118')
La Albiceleste happen to have Lionel Messi in their roster and with him in the team is Real Madrid's Champions League revelation Angel di Maria. The game was pushed to extra time and was on the brink of a penalty showdown when Messi dribbled the ball in to set up Di Maria who didn't hesitate and sent the ball curling into the bottom corner of the net just out of reach of Swiss keeper Diego Benaglio.
Argentina was the favourite to win the match but the first half proved otherwise. The Europeans set up a solid defence to neutralize the deadly Argentine offensive line composed of Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain and Ezequiel Lavezzi. The South Americans were only able to make half-chances for themselves but the Swiss were able to make two solid challenges to Sergio Romero's goal, through attempts by Granit Xhaka and Stephan Lichtsteiner just before the half. Josip Drmic was also able to make attempts to score in the closing stages of the first half and on the restart in the second.
The missed opportunities by Switzerland were enough to wake Argentina up and they were finally able to get in the game to make some real challenges of their own. Marcos Rojo managed to fire off a shot straight at the keeper. Higuain attempted a header and Messi made two more attempts which Benaglio did well to keep out.
Substitute Rodrigo Palacio made his presence felt by heading in a Messi cross which was also effectively stopped by the Swiss keeper.
The game ended still level with no goals and extra time proceeded in much the same way. It looked like fans will have to witness yet another penalty shoot-out when Lionel Messi set up Di Maria for a perfect shot to send Argentina through to the quarterfinals where they will face Belgium.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon