FIFA 2014 Quarter-Finals Predictions: Match #58 France vs. Germany
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 2, 2014 1:31 PM EST
France 0 Germany 1
Germany's national soccer team player Bastian Schweinsteiger flashes a victory sign on his way to a ferry boat in the town of Santa Cruz Cabralia north of Porto Seguro early July 1, 2014.
France: France has been one of the most consistent teams in this World Cup. It scored several goals in group stages. including 8 in its first two matches. However, its match against Nigeria remained a deadlock for the major part of it. French strikers who were quite successful in their earlier ventures looked unconvincing. Even though France's last group match against Ecuador ended in a goalless draw, France attacked the opponent's goal several times.
However, it was a different story against Nigeria. The African team was able to restrict France in most cases. France's attack hardly looked menacing against Nigeria. The first goal came at the 79th minute when Paul Pogba put his team ahead. Joseph Yobo's own goal at the 92nd minute made it 2-0. The last time France made the semifinals in a World Cup was in 2006, when they went all the way to the final where they lost to Italy.
The European rivals meet again in the quarterfinals in Brazil.
Germany: Germany came to the world cup as one of the top contenders to lift the cup. So far, it has shown enough fire-power to justify the claim. There are very few teams who match Germany's performance at the World Cup and this year may be no exception.
However, a much smaller team in Algeria made the life of the European giant difficult in the last match. The African team has historical rivalry against Germany and some have called the match, a David vs. Goliath battle. Germany, which earlier scored 4 goals against European biggie Portugal, could not score in the first 90 minutes of play. The first goal came only during the extra-time when André Schürrle took his team ahead. Mesut Özil scored another at the 120th minute of the match and sealed it for Germany.
Abdelmoumene Djabou, on the other hand, scored a goal for Algeria at 120 minute 58 second to make it 2-1, and exposed the vulnerability of German defence. German strikers need to be more effective as France is likely to pose greater threat than what Algeria did in the last match.
Head to Head
These two teams played 25 times against each other before. France won 11, Germany 8, and 6 matches ended in a draw. There were 83 goals scored in total. France scored 41 of those and Germany 42.
France: Karim Benzema and Moussa Sissoko
Germany: Thomas Müller and Lukas Podolski
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on July 4, which means it is 2 am on July 5 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estádio do Maracanã in Rio de Janeiro.
France failed to score many goals in its last 2 matches. It could not finish what it developed on several occasions. Germany, on the other hand, looked dominant in every match it played, no matter what the score line was. Germany will fall heavy on France and win it 3-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch