Hunger Games Star Jennifer Lawrence Tops The List of Hollywood's Most Powerful Actress
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 2, 2014 10:14 AM EST
Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence tops the list of Hollywood's most powerful actress according to the financial publication Forbes Magazine. The magazine estimated that the actress earned a whopping $34 million over the past year earning her the highest-ranked actress in the annual Celebrity 100 power list.
Cast member Jennifer Lawrence poses during a photocall for the film "The Hunger Games : Mockingjay - Part 1" at the 67th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes May 17, 2014.
Based on the Celebrity 100 list, the 23-year old actress ranked 12th from the overall financial clout of entertainment celebrities in the arena of movies, television, books, sports, music, and modeling.
"Who says women can't be action heroes? Just 23 years old, Lawrence is proving that women can be as big a draw for blockbusters as men. "The Hunger Games" is the most successful young adult franchise since "Twilight" and her recent turn as Mystique in "X-Men: Days of Future Past" helped make the movie the highest-grossing of the franchise. Combine that box office prowess with three Oscar nominations and one win and you have the most powerful actresses in Hollywood," reads the Forbes post which describes Jennifer Lawrence's selection as Hollywood's most powerful actress:
As Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games movie franchise, Lawrence has an impressive star power under her belt from her short career. The actress got two nominations for Academy award nominations for the "Winter's Bone" in 2010 and the "American Hustle" in 2013. She has won the 2013 Best Actress award for the "Silver Linings Playbook."
Forbes also mentioned that the star has been instrumental in making the Hunger Games movies earn $1.5 billion so far. Two more movies of the Hunger Games franchise are still on its way with "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1" due for release on Nov. 21, 2014.
Lawrence's role as the shape-changing mutant Mystique with plenty of fight scenes in the recent movie "X-Men: Days of the Future Past" has also paved the way for the movie to earn $700 international sales so far.
Jennifer Lawrence joined the veteran actresses in club of the most powerful celebrities like Sandra Bullock, Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Aniston. Sandra Bullock was ranked 39th in the overall Celebrity 100 list with her huge financial success in the risky movie "Gravity." The film earned an enormous $716 million international sales and seven Oscars. Her estimated earnings over the past year is at $51 million.
Angelina Jolie earned an estimated $18 million over the past year although her blockbuster film "Maleficent" which earned $522 million international sales so far will be credited next year. Scarlett Johansson earned an estimated $17 million over the past 12 months. She was also credited for helping the Marvel movie "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" earn $710 million international sales. Finally, Jennifer Aniston rounded the top five list with her performance in the comedy film "We're the Millers" which earned $270 million. Her estimated earnings for the past 12 months is at $31 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date