Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 2, 2014
By Craig James, CommSec Chief Economist | July 2, 2014 8:59 AM EST
In US economic data, the ISM manufacturing index eased from 55.4 to 55.3 in June. A figure above 50 indicates expansion. The sub index of new orders hit a six-month high, a good sign for business capital spending. On a negative note export orders were weaker. The Markit US Manufacturing PMI rose to 57.3 in June - the highest since May 2010. US construction spending rose by a lower than expected 0.1% in May.
European shares recorded a healthy start to the new quarter on Tuesday. BNP Paribas rose 3.6% on a relief rally, after news it had settled US sanctions case and reassured investors of its 2015 earnings guidance. Volume on the stock was twice its 90-day average. Mining shares rallied after encouraging economic data came out of China. The STOXX 600 resources index rose 2.6%. The FTSEurofirst 300 index rose by 0.9%, the German Dax gained 0.7% while the UK FTSE rose 0.9%. Australia´s major miners finished higher in London trade with shares in BHP Billiton up by 2.9% while Rio Tinto rose by 3.0%.
US sharemarkets rose on Tuesday, with the S&P500 hitting fresh record highs and the Dow flirting with 17,000 points. Twitter shares jumped 3.6% after announcing a new CFO. The Dow Jones rose by 129 points or 0.8% with the S&P 500 index up 13 points or 0.7% and the Nasdaq rose by 50 points or 1.1%.
US treasury prices rose on Tuesday (yields higher), after traders reacted to the strong Chinese and US manufacturing data. US 2 year yields rose 1 point to 0.47% while US 10 year yields rose by 3 points at 2.57%.
Major currencies were mixed against the US dollar on Tuesday. The Euro hit highs near U$1.3695 before easing to lows near US$1.3675, closing US trade near its lows. The Aussie dollar lifted from lows near US94.40c to highs near US95.05c and ended US trade near US94.95c. And the Japanese yen traded in a tight range between 101.40 yen per US dollar to JPY101.60, ending US trade near JPY101.50.
World oil prices eased on Tuesday on easing concerns about potential supply disruptions from Iraq. Brent crude fell by US16c or 0.1% to US$112.29 a barrel. While the US Nymex price closed lower by US3c or to US$105.34 a barrel.
Base metal prices were mixed on the London Metal Exchange on Tuesday. Zinc fell by 1.6% while tin lifted by 1.1%. The Comex gold futures quote rose by US$4.60 an ounce or 0.3% to US$1,326.60 per ounce. Iron ore rose by US40c a tonne or 0.4% to US$94.20 a tonne.
Ahead: In Australia, trade data is released. RBA Assistant Governor Debelle speaks in London. In the US, factory orders are released.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- A Month After Ukraine Plane Crash, Malaysia Airlines Doubles Commission of Australian Travel Agents to 11% to Boost Seat Sales
- Australia Could Become an Oil Giant After Apache Discovery of Field With Potential of 300 Million Barrels of Black Gold
- European Telcos in Buy-out Mode for American Firms
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon August 19, 2014
- Melbourne Is World’s Most Liveable City for 4th Consecutive Year
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members