20% of Aussie Women Want Designer Vagina Surgery, Says New Study
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 2, 2014 8:36 AM EST
One in five Australian women or about 20 per cent want designer vagina surgery, according to a new study by researchers at Flinders University in South Australia and scheduled to be presented at a conference in Bristol, England, on Wednesday.
Lab-Grown Vaginal Organ Successfully Implanted on Four Women (Reuters)
Those who are considering undergoing labiaplasty are women who have more exposure to images of female genitalia. The procedure reduces the size of the labia so it would not protrude.
Thirteen per cent of the women who want the procedure want to do it because of negative comments they got from their sex mates on the appearance of their vagina. Nineteen per cent had discussed the appearance of their genitalia with other women.
The exposure of the women came from TV, Internet, advertising and pornography.
"We think that if women and their partners were made aware of the large variation in normal genital appearance this might help to alleviate some of their concerns about their own genitals," AAP quoted Gemma Sharp, who conducted the study which had 351 female respondents aged 18 to 69.
She added the study is the first to systematically examine the role of media, sex partners and friend on a woman considering undergoing the medical procedure.
Dr David Veale, a consultant psychiatrist at the south London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust and The Priory Hospital North London, pointed out that it is possible the women who are considering labiaplasty and their partners are unaware that some of the female porn stars who expose their genitals in front of the camera may already have undergone the procedure that's why their vaginas look different.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop