2014 Wimbledon Update: Maria Sharapova Upset by Angelique Kerber in Round of 16 [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | July 2, 2014 3:30 AM EST
Angelique Kerber of Germany hits a return during her women's singles tennis match against Maria Sharapova of Russia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Sharapova’s dream of a second Wimbledon title turned into a nightmare exit after 49 unforced errors—19 coming in the crucial third and final set. Kerber was simply steadier in this match with a total of 11 unforced errors.
Sharapova won the Grand Slam in London in 2004 but has never advanced past the fourth round three years in a row now.
Kerber returns to the quarterfinals in Wimby for the first time since her semis appearance in 2012. The 26-year-old German faces up-and-comer Eugenie Bouchard of Canada in the next round.
View the slide show for more images from the Sharapova-Kerber match in Wimbledon 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS