2014 Wimbledon Update: Maria Sharapova Upset by Angelique Kerber in Round of 16 [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | July 2, 2014 3:30 AM EST
Angelique Kerber of Germany hits a return during her women's singles tennis match against Maria Sharapova of Russia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Sharapova’s dream of a second Wimbledon title turned into a nightmare exit after 49 unforced errors—19 coming in the crucial third and final set. Kerber was simply steadier in this match with a total of 11 unforced errors.
Sharapova won the Grand Slam in London in 2004 but has never advanced past the fourth round three years in a row now.
Kerber returns to the quarterfinals in Wimby for the first time since her semis appearance in 2012. The 26-year-old German faces up-and-comer Eugenie Bouchard of Canada in the next round.
View the slide show for more images from the Sharapova-Kerber match in Wimbledon 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom