2014 Wimbledon Update: Maria Sharapova Upset by Angelique Kerber in Round of 16 [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | July 2, 2014 3:30 AM EST
Angelique Kerber of Germany hits a return during her women's singles tennis match against Maria Sharapova of Russia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Sharapova’s dream of a second Wimbledon title turned into a nightmare exit after 49 unforced errors—19 coming in the crucial third and final set. Kerber was simply steadier in this match with a total of 11 unforced errors.
Sharapova won the Grand Slam in London in 2004 but has never advanced past the fourth round three years in a row now.
Kerber returns to the quarterfinals in Wimby for the first time since her semis appearance in 2012. The 26-year-old German faces up-and-comer Eugenie Bouchard of Canada in the next round.
View the slide show for more images from the Sharapova-Kerber match in Wimbledon 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage