FIFA World Cup Round of 16 Preview: USA vs. Belgium Live Streaming and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | July 2, 2014 1:10 AM EST
Team USA survived this World Cup’s “Group of Death”. On Tuesday at the Arena Fonta Nova in Salvador, Brazil, the Americans will look to prove they are legit contenders when they take on Belgium in the Round of 16 of the 2014 World Cup.
Clint Dempsey of the U.S. (R) attempts to score a header against Germany's goalkeeper Manuel Neuer (L) but misses, during their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match at the Pernambuco arena in Recife June 26, 2014.
“We navigated ourselves through the so-called group of death,” USA’s goalkeeper Tim Howard said to the tournament’s official website. “Not many people gave us credit to be able to do that before the tournament started.”
The Stars and Stripes beat Ghana, 2-1 in their opener before settling for a 2-2 draw with Portugal. They lost to Germany, 1-0 in the final group match but the Americans’ confidence is growing as the tournament hit the knockout stages.
“We’ve been playing some brilliant football,” added Howard. “We’ve been able to open some teams up. We’re not world-beaters yet, but we’re standing toe-to-toe with some big teams.”
To prove they are world-beaters they have to beat Les Diables Rouges (The Red Devils), who topped Group H with three wins in three matches surrendering only one goal so far in Brazil.
Admittedly, Group H is not the strongest among all groups in this World Cup but Belgium is focused on the task at hand.
"The most important thing is not to think about the future or let yourself get distracted," said Belgium star defender Daniel van Buyten. "We'll have all the time in the world to pick over everything afterwards. The World Cup is happening now and we have to rise to the challenge."
In past international matches, Belgium has beaten USA four times in five matches with 13 goals scored between the two squads.
The Americans are the underdogs entering the match priced at 2.73 to win while Belgium is at 1.42. Meanwhile, in the three-way betting, Belgium is at 2.00, USA at 4.20 and a Draw is at 3.40.
Probable Starting 11:
USA (4-1-4-1): Howard; Gonzalez, Johnson, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman; Zusi, Bradley, Jones, Davis; Dempsey
Belgium (4-2-3-1): Courtois; Alderweireld, Kompany, Van Buyten, Vermaelen; Witsel, Fellaini; Mertens, E Hazard, De Bruyne; Lukaku
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Manchester United Defender Phil Jones Fit To Play Versus Everton
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build