FIFA World Cup Round of 16 Preview: USA vs. Belgium Live Streaming and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | July 2, 2014 1:10 AM EST
Team USA survived this World Cup’s “Group of Death”. On Tuesday at the Arena Fonta Nova in Salvador, Brazil, the Americans will look to prove they are legit contenders when they take on Belgium in the Round of 16 of the 2014 World Cup.
Clint Dempsey of the U.S. (R) attempts to score a header against Germany's goalkeeper Manuel Neuer (L) but misses, during their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match at the Pernambuco arena in Recife June 26, 2014.
“We navigated ourselves through the so-called group of death,” USA’s goalkeeper Tim Howard said to the tournament’s official website. “Not many people gave us credit to be able to do that before the tournament started.”
The Stars and Stripes beat Ghana, 2-1 in their opener before settling for a 2-2 draw with Portugal. They lost to Germany, 1-0 in the final group match but the Americans’ confidence is growing as the tournament hit the knockout stages.
“We’ve been playing some brilliant football,” added Howard. “We’ve been able to open some teams up. We’re not world-beaters yet, but we’re standing toe-to-toe with some big teams.”
To prove they are world-beaters they have to beat Les Diables Rouges (The Red Devils), who topped Group H with three wins in three matches surrendering only one goal so far in Brazil.
Admittedly, Group H is not the strongest among all groups in this World Cup but Belgium is focused on the task at hand.
"The most important thing is not to think about the future or let yourself get distracted," said Belgium star defender Daniel van Buyten. "We'll have all the time in the world to pick over everything afterwards. The World Cup is happening now and we have to rise to the challenge."
In past international matches, Belgium has beaten USA four times in five matches with 13 goals scored between the two squads.
The Americans are the underdogs entering the match priced at 2.73 to win while Belgium is at 1.42. Meanwhile, in the three-way betting, Belgium is at 2.00, USA at 4.20 and a Draw is at 3.40.
Probable Starting 11:
USA (4-1-4-1): Howard; Gonzalez, Johnson, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman; Zusi, Bradley, Jones, Davis; Dempsey
Belgium (4-2-3-1): Courtois; Alderweireld, Kompany, Van Buyten, Vermaelen; Witsel, Fellaini; Mertens, E Hazard, De Bruyne; Lukaku
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet