Floyd Mayweather Jr. Revives Duel With Manny Pacquiao; Big Surprise for May 2015
By Lou Imperial | July 2, 2014 12:34 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has never failed to spark intrigues in and outside the ring, confirming his rematch with Marcos Maidana on September 13 and hinting a big surprise for his May 2015 fight.
The 38-year old Mayweather took the BET Awards by storm with his brand new Buggati car, but the controversial boxer even raised more brows during an interview with Laten Media's Kristin Clark.
WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. poses on the scale during an official weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arenain Las Vegas, Nevada, May 2, 2014. Mayweather faces WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana of Argentina in a WBC/WBA unification fight at the arena on May 3.
The reigning WBC Welterweight and Light Middleweight champion confirmed that he will take on Argentine slugger Marcos Maidana for the second time this year, after his flawed majority decision win against the same fighter last May 3.
"September 13th back to business, Marcos Maidana-Floyd Mayweather part II," said Mayweather, who is looking to preserve his immaculate boxing record with 46 wins (26 KOs).
Moreover, the Grand Rapids-native dropped the biggest bomb of them all when he teased everybody in the boxing world with a big surprise he's going to announce for his 2015 debut.
Mayweather, who always makes his first ring appearance of the year in May, told everyone to stay tune for that announcement because it's going to be pretty big.
"And then in May, I am fighting in May. I have a big surprise for you all. Everybody, tune in," the boxer added.
What's the Big Surprise?
Of course, Mayweather has the history of being playful and getting things exaggerated in interviews. However, the 'Big Surprise' tease has really piqued the interest of every boxing fans salivating for that dream fight.
Manny Pacquiao, considered by many as the second best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, appears to be that big surprise Mayweather is talking about for his next year's Cinco de Mayo event. After all, there's no bigger fight to make out there than the Pacman-Money May showdown.
Boxing promoter and UAE Royalty Amir Shafipour recently provided update about his ambition to stage the Fight of the Century in Dubai in 2015. In an interview with Gulf News, the Arab prince said that he already hooked in with an influential boxing patron in the United States to serve as a middleman in the negotiation between Pacquiao's and Mayweather's camp.
"I will honestly and truthfully tell you that if anyone can convince them to fight, and to fight in Dubai, I can," Shafipur said. "I have a lot of worldwide connections, with managers, promoters, fighters, people in the business, who speak the same language that Mayweather and Pacquiao are speaking. You have to be on the same page as them and only then will you get their attention."
"I am currently working with a major boxing promoter in the USA, who is connected to both the Pacquiao and Mayweather camps, and who has the capacity to help me pull this off. It's not a boast, it's a commitment."
Revived Hope for Megafight
Mayweather's latest tease should be taken with a grain of salt. Then again, the interests the potential fight generates are certainly too massive for boxing fans to resist. A rematch fight with Miguel Cotto or a slugfest with Danny Garcia is not shabby at all, but there's nothing boxing fans bother to tune in than an announcement of the end of a long wait for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao for the title as the undisputed no.1 pound-for-pound fighter of the world.
Floyd Mayweather Jr's interview at BET Awards
(Laten Media/ Youtube)
For more Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao and Boxing news updates, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions