Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao vs. Khan Negotiation Begins For Late 2014 Duel
By Lou Imperial | July 1, 2014 9:20 PM EST
Great Britain's Amir Khan sounds very much confident of his chances against reigning WBO Welterweight king Manny Pacquiao, whom he wants to fight next in the final quarter of 2014.
In an interview with UAE online news site the National, Khan expressed his desire to take on one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world in Pacquiao. The Briton is coming off a sensational 12-round unanimous decision win over Luis Collazo, and now, he's now setting his sight on a possible showdown with the eight-division world champion in November or December of 2014.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines celebrates his unanimous decision over WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. after their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014. Bradley was previously undefeated.
"Official talks have already been started between our camps," Khan told the National. "We are both fighting next in November or December, so everything is perfect for us to fight. It's speed, explosiveness and entertainment from both fighters and this is what fans want from boxing right now."
The former jr. welterweight champion stressed that he's willing to go toe-to-toe Pacquiao wherever the fight is held, whether that would be in Dubai, Macau or Las Vegas. Khan has also welcomed the idea of fighting Pacquiao in Dubai, but he's not sure if the officials are prepared to host a big fight.
"I'm ready to fight wherever, whether it's in Vegas or Macau or Dubai," he said. "I think because of our fan bases, Dubai would be the perfect location, but if I'm being honest, the officials there are not fully ready to host a boxing event of this magnitude.
"Every boxer wants to fight in Dubai, but it's not happening," he added.
Taking an Advantage
The 27-year old Khan believed he has some edge over Pacquiao because of his youth and the experience he had with him as the Filipino champ's former sparring partner. Pacquiao and Khan were both trained by Hall of Famer Freddie Roach, until the Briton decided to take a different direction in 2012.
"I think it's an advantage, as I know what to expect when I'm in the ring with him," Khan said. "There will be no surprises. But at the same time, it will be tactical and a chess game, because we both will be waiting for the other's next move."
Manny is slowing down," Khan said. "As we have seen in his past three fights, he is not the same Manny."
Pacquiao vs. Khan is On?
After regaining the WBO belt with a unanimous decision win over Tim Bradley last April, Pacquiao hasn't announced his next foe so far. Aside from a fifth showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez, the possibility of facing an elite young fighters such as Ruslan Provodnikov or Danny Garcia is also being considered by Pacman's camp.
However, there's no more intriguing fight out there than a rumble with Khan - a fighter that has big fanbase in the United Kingdom. Pacquiao's PPV performance has been shaky for the past couple of years, making the Khan fight a feasible one to make for Bob Arum and Top-Rank promotions.
Manny Pacquiao vs. Amir Khan in Sparring Session:
For more Manny Pacquiao, Amir Khan and Boxing news updates, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More