Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao vs. Khan Negotiation Begins For Late 2014 Duel
By Lou Imperial | July 1, 2014 9:20 PM EST
Great Britain's Amir Khan sounds very much confident of his chances against reigning WBO Welterweight king Manny Pacquiao, whom he wants to fight next in the final quarter of 2014.
In an interview with UAE online news site the National, Khan expressed his desire to take on one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world in Pacquiao. The Briton is coming off a sensational 12-round unanimous decision win over Luis Collazo, and now, he's now setting his sight on a possible showdown with the eight-division world champion in November or December of 2014.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines celebrates his unanimous decision over WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. after their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014. Bradley was previously undefeated.
"Official talks have already been started between our camps," Khan told the National. "We are both fighting next in November or December, so everything is perfect for us to fight. It's speed, explosiveness and entertainment from both fighters and this is what fans want from boxing right now."
The former jr. welterweight champion stressed that he's willing to go toe-to-toe Pacquiao wherever the fight is held, whether that would be in Dubai, Macau or Las Vegas. Khan has also welcomed the idea of fighting Pacquiao in Dubai, but he's not sure if the officials are prepared to host a big fight.
"I'm ready to fight wherever, whether it's in Vegas or Macau or Dubai," he said. "I think because of our fan bases, Dubai would be the perfect location, but if I'm being honest, the officials there are not fully ready to host a boxing event of this magnitude.
"Every boxer wants to fight in Dubai, but it's not happening," he added.
Taking an Advantage
The 27-year old Khan believed he has some edge over Pacquiao because of his youth and the experience he had with him as the Filipino champ's former sparring partner. Pacquiao and Khan were both trained by Hall of Famer Freddie Roach, until the Briton decided to take a different direction in 2012.
"I think it's an advantage, as I know what to expect when I'm in the ring with him," Khan said. "There will be no surprises. But at the same time, it will be tactical and a chess game, because we both will be waiting for the other's next move."
Manny is slowing down," Khan said. "As we have seen in his past three fights, he is not the same Manny."
Pacquiao vs. Khan is On?
After regaining the WBO belt with a unanimous decision win over Tim Bradley last April, Pacquiao hasn't announced his next foe so far. Aside from a fifth showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez, the possibility of facing an elite young fighters such as Ruslan Provodnikov or Danny Garcia is also being considered by Pacman's camp.
However, there's no more intriguing fight out there than a rumble with Khan - a fighter that has big fanbase in the United Kingdom. Pacquiao's PPV performance has been shaky for the past couple of years, making the Khan fight a feasible one to make for Bob Arum and Top-Rank promotions.
Manny Pacquiao vs. Amir Khan in Sparring Session:
For more Manny Pacquiao, Amir Khan and Boxing news updates, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues