Roger Federer vs. Stan Wawrinka Quarterfinal Clash Looming at Wimbledon Open
By Lou Imperial | July 1, 2014 9:14 PM EST
Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka are in perfect positions to arrange an All-Swiss quarterfinal duel at Wimbledon Open with a victory on a busy Tuesday at All-England Club.
Gunning for his eighth Wimbledon Open crown, Federer has been masterful through the first three rounds as he demolished Paolo Lorenzi, Gilles Muller and Santiago Giraldo all in three sets.
Roger Federer of Switzerland waves after defeating Paolo Lorenzi of Italy in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
"It's great," Federer told BBC News. "I'm very pleased. It's always good to keep moving on. Last year I lost in the second round (against Sergiy Stakhovsky), so I'm aware of tough draws. I'm always worried about the first week, getting to the second one; then the grass plays quite differently.
Federer admitted that he had been a little bit cautious through the first week of competition, especially after absorbing a second-round shocker at the hands of Ukraine's Sergiy Stakhovsky last year. However, solid conditioning and quick familiarization with the surface helped him to be optimistic heading into the deeper stage of the tourney.
"[Next week] it's really about maintaining a good level of play. Physically I'm in good shape. I've got to keep playing aggressively and serving well. You've got to do that on this surface, and keep the points short."
The 32-year old Federer is set to face Robredo, who upset last year's semifinalist Jerzy Janowicz, 6-2, 6-4, 6-7, 4-6, 6-3 in their third round duel. Robredo is a skilled veteran with capability to pull off an upset, but the hectic schedule ahead will surely put Federer in a tough grind.
Federer will have to win matches on back-to-back days on Tuesday and Wednesday, if he wishes to advance into the semifinal round. Federer along with Rafael Nadal and Stanislas Wawrinka were hit hard by Wimbledon Open organizers after a rainy Saturday caused a change in the schedule.
Wawrinka, who will face Feliciano Lopez in the fourth round, slammed the organizers for putting him in a terrible scheduling that required him to win matches in three consecutive days for a chance to play in the semis.
"First, playing a five-set match, it's never easy. If you look for this week, me or Lopez/Isner have to play three matches in three days, five-set match. It's terrible for the body.
"For sure I was disappointed. I was expecting them to move matches, move maybe juniors or doubles, to make my match or Isner/Lopez match first on when they start at five or six pm again when it stop raining... You cannot do anything. You have to accept. They do what they want and you just follow.''
Looming Federer vs. Wawrinka Quarterfinal
The battle between the two top-notch Swiss is always entertaining. Federer leads the head-to-head clash 13-2, but Wawrinka recently defeated the 17-time Grand Slam winner in the finals of the Monte Carlo Masters 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-2.
Federer-Wawrinka quarterfinal affair seems to be a pretty good appetizer before a clash with reigning world's no.1 Rafael Nadal, who is expected to advance into the semifinal round.
Here's Wawrinka criticizing Wimbledon Open organizers for the busy schedule:
(Wimbledon Open/ Youtube)
For more Roger Federer, Stanislas Wawrinka and Wimbledon Open news, get updated at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build