Roger Federer vs. Stan Wawrinka Quarterfinal Clash Looming at Wimbledon Open
By Lou Imperial | July 1, 2014 9:14 PM EST
Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka are in perfect positions to arrange an All-Swiss quarterfinal duel at Wimbledon Open with a victory on a busy Tuesday at All-England Club.
Gunning for his eighth Wimbledon Open crown, Federer has been masterful through the first three rounds as he demolished Paolo Lorenzi, Gilles Muller and Santiago Giraldo all in three sets.
Roger Federer of Switzerland waves after defeating Paolo Lorenzi of Italy in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
"It's great," Federer told BBC News. "I'm very pleased. It's always good to keep moving on. Last year I lost in the second round (against Sergiy Stakhovsky), so I'm aware of tough draws. I'm always worried about the first week, getting to the second one; then the grass plays quite differently.
Federer admitted that he had been a little bit cautious through the first week of competition, especially after absorbing a second-round shocker at the hands of Ukraine's Sergiy Stakhovsky last year. However, solid conditioning and quick familiarization with the surface helped him to be optimistic heading into the deeper stage of the tourney.
"[Next week] it's really about maintaining a good level of play. Physically I'm in good shape. I've got to keep playing aggressively and serving well. You've got to do that on this surface, and keep the points short."
The 32-year old Federer is set to face Robredo, who upset last year's semifinalist Jerzy Janowicz, 6-2, 6-4, 6-7, 4-6, 6-3 in their third round duel. Robredo is a skilled veteran with capability to pull off an upset, but the hectic schedule ahead will surely put Federer in a tough grind.
Federer will have to win matches on back-to-back days on Tuesday and Wednesday, if he wishes to advance into the semifinal round. Federer along with Rafael Nadal and Stanislas Wawrinka were hit hard by Wimbledon Open organizers after a rainy Saturday caused a change in the schedule.
Wawrinka, who will face Feliciano Lopez in the fourth round, slammed the organizers for putting him in a terrible scheduling that required him to win matches in three consecutive days for a chance to play in the semis.
"First, playing a five-set match, it's never easy. If you look for this week, me or Lopez/Isner have to play three matches in three days, five-set match. It's terrible for the body.
"For sure I was disappointed. I was expecting them to move matches, move maybe juniors or doubles, to make my match or Isner/Lopez match first on when they start at five or six pm again when it stop raining... You cannot do anything. You have to accept. They do what they want and you just follow.''
Looming Federer vs. Wawrinka Quarterfinal
The battle between the two top-notch Swiss is always entertaining. Federer leads the head-to-head clash 13-2, but Wawrinka recently defeated the 17-time Grand Slam winner in the finals of the Monte Carlo Masters 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-2.
Federer-Wawrinka quarterfinal affair seems to be a pretty good appetizer before a clash with reigning world's no.1 Rafael Nadal, who is expected to advance into the semifinal round.
Here's Wawrinka criticizing Wimbledon Open organizers for the busy schedule:
(Wimbledon Open/ Youtube)
For more Roger Federer, Stanislas Wawrinka and Wimbledon Open news, get updated at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report