Roger Federer vs. Stan Wawrinka Quarterfinal Clash Looming at Wimbledon Open
By Lou Imperial | July 1, 2014 9:14 PM EST
Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka are in perfect positions to arrange an All-Swiss quarterfinal duel at Wimbledon Open with a victory on a busy Tuesday at All-England Club.
Gunning for his eighth Wimbledon Open crown, Federer has been masterful through the first three rounds as he demolished Paolo Lorenzi, Gilles Muller and Santiago Giraldo all in three sets.
Roger Federer of Switzerland waves after defeating Paolo Lorenzi of Italy in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
"It's great," Federer told BBC News. "I'm very pleased. It's always good to keep moving on. Last year I lost in the second round (against Sergiy Stakhovsky), so I'm aware of tough draws. I'm always worried about the first week, getting to the second one; then the grass plays quite differently.
Federer admitted that he had been a little bit cautious through the first week of competition, especially after absorbing a second-round shocker at the hands of Ukraine's Sergiy Stakhovsky last year. However, solid conditioning and quick familiarization with the surface helped him to be optimistic heading into the deeper stage of the tourney.
"[Next week] it's really about maintaining a good level of play. Physically I'm in good shape. I've got to keep playing aggressively and serving well. You've got to do that on this surface, and keep the points short."
The 32-year old Federer is set to face Robredo, who upset last year's semifinalist Jerzy Janowicz, 6-2, 6-4, 6-7, 4-6, 6-3 in their third round duel. Robredo is a skilled veteran with capability to pull off an upset, but the hectic schedule ahead will surely put Federer in a tough grind.
Federer will have to win matches on back-to-back days on Tuesday and Wednesday, if he wishes to advance into the semifinal round. Federer along with Rafael Nadal and Stanislas Wawrinka were hit hard by Wimbledon Open organizers after a rainy Saturday caused a change in the schedule.
Wawrinka, who will face Feliciano Lopez in the fourth round, slammed the organizers for putting him in a terrible scheduling that required him to win matches in three consecutive days for a chance to play in the semis.
"First, playing a five-set match, it's never easy. If you look for this week, me or Lopez/Isner have to play three matches in three days, five-set match. It's terrible for the body.
"For sure I was disappointed. I was expecting them to move matches, move maybe juniors or doubles, to make my match or Isner/Lopez match first on when they start at five or six pm again when it stop raining... You cannot do anything. You have to accept. They do what they want and you just follow.''
Looming Federer vs. Wawrinka Quarterfinal
The battle between the two top-notch Swiss is always entertaining. Federer leads the head-to-head clash 13-2, but Wawrinka recently defeated the 17-time Grand Slam winner in the finals of the Monte Carlo Masters 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-2.
Federer-Wawrinka quarterfinal affair seems to be a pretty good appetizer before a clash with reigning world's no.1 Rafael Nadal, who is expected to advance into the semifinal round.
Here's Wawrinka criticizing Wimbledon Open organizers for the busy schedule:
(Wimbledon Open/ Youtube)
For more Roger Federer, Stanislas Wawrinka and Wimbledon Open news, get updated at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports