Roger Federer vs. Stan Wawrinka Quarterfinal Clash Looming at Wimbledon Open
By Lou Imperial | July 1, 2014 9:14 PM EST
Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka are in perfect positions to arrange an All-Swiss quarterfinal duel at Wimbledon Open with a victory on a busy Tuesday at All-England Club.
Gunning for his eighth Wimbledon Open crown, Federer has been masterful through the first three rounds as he demolished Paolo Lorenzi, Gilles Muller and Santiago Giraldo all in three sets.
Roger Federer of Switzerland waves after defeating Paolo Lorenzi of Italy in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
"It's great," Federer told BBC News. "I'm very pleased. It's always good to keep moving on. Last year I lost in the second round (against Sergiy Stakhovsky), so I'm aware of tough draws. I'm always worried about the first week, getting to the second one; then the grass plays quite differently.
Federer admitted that he had been a little bit cautious through the first week of competition, especially after absorbing a second-round shocker at the hands of Ukraine's Sergiy Stakhovsky last year. However, solid conditioning and quick familiarization with the surface helped him to be optimistic heading into the deeper stage of the tourney.
"[Next week] it's really about maintaining a good level of play. Physically I'm in good shape. I've got to keep playing aggressively and serving well. You've got to do that on this surface, and keep the points short."
The 32-year old Federer is set to face Robredo, who upset last year's semifinalist Jerzy Janowicz, 6-2, 6-4, 6-7, 4-6, 6-3 in their third round duel. Robredo is a skilled veteran with capability to pull off an upset, but the hectic schedule ahead will surely put Federer in a tough grind.
Federer will have to win matches on back-to-back days on Tuesday and Wednesday, if he wishes to advance into the semifinal round. Federer along with Rafael Nadal and Stanislas Wawrinka were hit hard by Wimbledon Open organizers after a rainy Saturday caused a change in the schedule.
Wawrinka, who will face Feliciano Lopez in the fourth round, slammed the organizers for putting him in a terrible scheduling that required him to win matches in three consecutive days for a chance to play in the semis.
"First, playing a five-set match, it's never easy. If you look for this week, me or Lopez/Isner have to play three matches in three days, five-set match. It's terrible for the body.
"For sure I was disappointed. I was expecting them to move matches, move maybe juniors or doubles, to make my match or Isner/Lopez match first on when they start at five or six pm again when it stop raining... You cannot do anything. You have to accept. They do what they want and you just follow.''
Looming Federer vs. Wawrinka Quarterfinal
The battle between the two top-notch Swiss is always entertaining. Federer leads the head-to-head clash 13-2, but Wawrinka recently defeated the 17-time Grand Slam winner in the finals of the Monte Carlo Masters 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-2.
Federer-Wawrinka quarterfinal affair seems to be a pretty good appetizer before a clash with reigning world's no.1 Rafael Nadal, who is expected to advance into the semifinal round.
Here's Wawrinka criticizing Wimbledon Open organizers for the busy schedule:
(Wimbledon Open/ Youtube)
For more Roger Federer, Stanislas Wawrinka and Wimbledon Open news, get updated at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia