Roger Federer vs. Stan Wawrinka Quarterfinal Clash Looming at Wimbledon Open
By Lou Imperial | July 1, 2014 9:14 PM EST
Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka are in perfect positions to arrange an All-Swiss quarterfinal duel at Wimbledon Open with a victory on a busy Tuesday at All-England Club.
Gunning for his eighth Wimbledon Open crown, Federer has been masterful through the first three rounds as he demolished Paolo Lorenzi, Gilles Muller and Santiago Giraldo all in three sets.
Roger Federer of Switzerland waves after defeating Paolo Lorenzi of Italy in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
"It's great," Federer told BBC News. "I'm very pleased. It's always good to keep moving on. Last year I lost in the second round (against Sergiy Stakhovsky), so I'm aware of tough draws. I'm always worried about the first week, getting to the second one; then the grass plays quite differently.
Federer admitted that he had been a little bit cautious through the first week of competition, especially after absorbing a second-round shocker at the hands of Ukraine's Sergiy Stakhovsky last year. However, solid conditioning and quick familiarization with the surface helped him to be optimistic heading into the deeper stage of the tourney.
"[Next week] it's really about maintaining a good level of play. Physically I'm in good shape. I've got to keep playing aggressively and serving well. You've got to do that on this surface, and keep the points short."
The 32-year old Federer is set to face Robredo, who upset last year's semifinalist Jerzy Janowicz, 6-2, 6-4, 6-7, 4-6, 6-3 in their third round duel. Robredo is a skilled veteran with capability to pull off an upset, but the hectic schedule ahead will surely put Federer in a tough grind.
Federer will have to win matches on back-to-back days on Tuesday and Wednesday, if he wishes to advance into the semifinal round. Federer along with Rafael Nadal and Stanislas Wawrinka were hit hard by Wimbledon Open organizers after a rainy Saturday caused a change in the schedule.
Wawrinka, who will face Feliciano Lopez in the fourth round, slammed the organizers for putting him in a terrible scheduling that required him to win matches in three consecutive days for a chance to play in the semis.
"First, playing a five-set match, it's never easy. If you look for this week, me or Lopez/Isner have to play three matches in three days, five-set match. It's terrible for the body.
"For sure I was disappointed. I was expecting them to move matches, move maybe juniors or doubles, to make my match or Isner/Lopez match first on when they start at five or six pm again when it stop raining... You cannot do anything. You have to accept. They do what they want and you just follow.''
Looming Federer vs. Wawrinka Quarterfinal
The battle between the two top-notch Swiss is always entertaining. Federer leads the head-to-head clash 13-2, but Wawrinka recently defeated the 17-time Grand Slam winner in the finals of the Monte Carlo Masters 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-2.
Federer-Wawrinka quarterfinal affair seems to be a pretty good appetizer before a clash with reigning world's no.1 Rafael Nadal, who is expected to advance into the semifinal round.
Here's Wawrinka criticizing Wimbledon Open organizers for the busy schedule:
(Wimbledon Open/ Youtube)
For more Roger Federer, Stanislas Wawrinka and Wimbledon Open news, get updated at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People