MasterChef Australia 6 Recap: Croquembouche Challenge Eliminates Kira Westwick [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | July 1, 2014 6:40 PM EST
In "MasterChef Australia" Season 6, Episode 40, which aired on Monday, June 30, 2014, there was a croquembouche challenge, which unfortunately, eliminated Kira Westwick, a nutritional coach from Queensland. If you want to know more about it, here's the "MasterChef Australia" 6 recap featuring the croquembouche challenge and Kira Westwick's elimination.
For those who aren't familiar with croquembouche, it is a French cone-shaped dessert made up of choux pastry balls that are piled and then bound by caramel. It's usually served in special occasions such as weddings and baptisms. Due to its ingredients, it is sweet and a bit crunchy.
While this particular dessert is enjoyed by many, especially the French and Italians, Westwick probably hates it by now because it was the reason why she got booted out from "MasterChef Australia" Season 6.
The 31-year-old Westwick participated in the croquembouche challenge of "MasterChef Australia" Season 6, Episode 40. She competed against 24-year-old bartender Jamie Fleming from New South Wales (NSW) and 51-year-old winemaker Colin Sheppard from South Australia (SA).
According to news.com.au, Westwick claims that the croquembouche challenge was a crock. They had to make the French pastry without the complete recipe. What happened was, the recipe for the caramel was only given to Colin, including the instructions on how to assemble the croquembouche. Jamie only received the choux recipe. As for Kira, she only got the recipe for the crème patisserie.
38-year-old Tracy Collins from South Australia (SA), who won the power apron for the night, divided the croquembouche recipe into the three aforementioned contestants.
Upon tasting the croquembouche that each contestant made, "MasterChef Australia" 6 judges Matt Preston, Gary Mehigan and George Calombaris complimented Kira on how good the crème patisserie and caramel of her croquembouche was.
That's why it came as a surprise when they finally decided that Kira will be eliminated. They thought that her creation was like a biscuit and was cakey compared to the other pastries.
Kira was surprised and disappointed about the outcome of the competition.
"It is disappointing that it wasn't an even playing field," said Kira in the news.com.au report.
"I was surprised that before a pressure test that (recipe split into three parts) would happen," she added.
And that's the "MasterChef Australia" 6 recap which featured the croquembouche challenge that eliminated Kira Westwick. It was shown on June 30, 2014 at Network Ten. Click HERE to see photos of the said episode from the show's official Web site. Click HERE to watch a video of "MasterChef Australia" Season 6, Episode 40. Don't miss the next episode of "MasterChef Australia." But don't worry, because we got you covered with the latest recaps and spoilers of your favourite Australian cooking competition.
Watch a video on How to Make a Croquembouche below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date