MasterChef Australia 6 Recap: Croquembouche Challenge Eliminates Kira Westwick [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | July 1, 2014 6:40 PM EST
In "MasterChef Australia" Season 6, Episode 40, which aired on Monday, June 30, 2014, there was a croquembouche challenge, which unfortunately, eliminated Kira Westwick, a nutritional coach from Queensland. If you want to know more about it, here's the "MasterChef Australia" 6 recap featuring the croquembouche challenge and Kira Westwick's elimination.
For those who aren't familiar with croquembouche, it is a French cone-shaped dessert made up of choux pastry balls that are piled and then bound by caramel. It's usually served in special occasions such as weddings and baptisms. Due to its ingredients, it is sweet and a bit crunchy.
While this particular dessert is enjoyed by many, especially the French and Italians, Westwick probably hates it by now because it was the reason why she got booted out from "MasterChef Australia" Season 6.
The 31-year-old Westwick participated in the croquembouche challenge of "MasterChef Australia" Season 6, Episode 40. She competed against 24-year-old bartender Jamie Fleming from New South Wales (NSW) and 51-year-old winemaker Colin Sheppard from South Australia (SA).
According to news.com.au, Westwick claims that the croquembouche challenge was a crock. They had to make the French pastry without the complete recipe. What happened was, the recipe for the caramel was only given to Colin, including the instructions on how to assemble the croquembouche. Jamie only received the choux recipe. As for Kira, she only got the recipe for the crème patisserie.
38-year-old Tracy Collins from South Australia (SA), who won the power apron for the night, divided the croquembouche recipe into the three aforementioned contestants.
Upon tasting the croquembouche that each contestant made, "MasterChef Australia" 6 judges Matt Preston, Gary Mehigan and George Calombaris complimented Kira on how good the crème patisserie and caramel of her croquembouche was.
That's why it came as a surprise when they finally decided that Kira will be eliminated. They thought that her creation was like a biscuit and was cakey compared to the other pastries.
Kira was surprised and disappointed about the outcome of the competition.
"It is disappointing that it wasn't an even playing field," said Kira in the news.com.au report.
"I was surprised that before a pressure test that (recipe split into three parts) would happen," she added.
And that's the "MasterChef Australia" 6 recap which featured the croquembouche challenge that eliminated Kira Westwick. It was shown on June 30, 2014 at Network Ten. Click HERE to see photos of the said episode from the show's official Web site. Click HERE to watch a video of "MasterChef Australia" Season 6, Episode 40. Don't miss the next episode of "MasterChef Australia." But don't worry, because we got you covered with the latest recaps and spoilers of your favourite Australian cooking competition.
Watch a video on How to Make a Croquembouche below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate