BET Awards: Iggy Azalea's Ghostwriters Dissed By Nicki Minaj
By Tanya Diente | July 1, 2014 4:39 PM EST
Nicki Minaj may have thrown some shade at fellow nominee Iggy Azalea's music ghostwriters during her acceptance speech at the BET Awards.
Nicki Minaj accepts the award for best female hip hop artist during the 2014 BET Awards in Los Angeles, California June 29, 2014.
Nicki Minaj has never been one for diplomacy, according to Vulture. She proved this during her nearly 4-minute acceptance speech at the BET Awards, where she reportedly threw some shade at fellow nominee and hip hop artist Iggy Azalea.
The rapper took the stage at the Nokia Theater to give her acceptance speech for her award "Best Female Hip-Hop Artist," which she has won for the fifth year in a row. She beat Iggy Azalea whom, according to NYDailyNews, many considered the favourite pick.
"This is always very, very emotional for me because this is my fifth year winning this award and I don't take it for granted. I really don't," she started.
Minaj continued with her speech by thanking God for putting her in a "position to do something and represent women in a culture that is so male-driven."
"But my point is, what I want the world to know about Nicki Minaj is, that when you hear Nicki Minaj spit, Nicki Minaj wrote it," she said.
Nicki Minaj took a moment to strike a diva pose before explaining that her statement shouldn't be taken as shade towards anyone.
"No, no, no shade," she clarified.
However, many took it as a shade towards Iggy Azalea who has been widely rumoured to use ghostwriters for her music.
The Queens-born rapper continued with her speech, recalling how when she used to sit in the studio with Lil Wayne. It would literally take her sometimes 3 to 4 days to write.
Minaj credits her motivation to write her verses in the studio to Lil Wayne, whom she proclaimed to love since he convinced her "to push her pen."
Before Nicki Minaj left the stage, she ended her speech with what others presumed was a second jab at Azalea.
"I hope and pray that BET continues to honor authenticity," she concluded. "And that's all I'm gonna say about that."
Iggy Azalea, who performed her hit song "Fancy" during the BET Awards with rapper T.I., has not responded to Nicki Minaj's statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy