BET Awards: Iggy Azalea's Ghostwriters Dissed By Nicki Minaj
By Tanya Diente | July 1, 2014 4:39 PM EST
Nicki Minaj may have thrown some shade at fellow nominee Iggy Azalea's music ghostwriters during her acceptance speech at the BET Awards.
Nicki Minaj accepts the award for best female hip hop artist during the 2014 BET Awards in Los Angeles, California June 29, 2014.
Nicki Minaj has never been one for diplomacy, according to Vulture. She proved this during her nearly 4-minute acceptance speech at the BET Awards, where she reportedly threw some shade at fellow nominee and hip hop artist Iggy Azalea.
The rapper took the stage at the Nokia Theater to give her acceptance speech for her award "Best Female Hip-Hop Artist," which she has won for the fifth year in a row. She beat Iggy Azalea whom, according to NYDailyNews, many considered the favourite pick.
"This is always very, very emotional for me because this is my fifth year winning this award and I don't take it for granted. I really don't," she started.
Minaj continued with her speech by thanking God for putting her in a "position to do something and represent women in a culture that is so male-driven."
"But my point is, what I want the world to know about Nicki Minaj is, that when you hear Nicki Minaj spit, Nicki Minaj wrote it," she said.
Nicki Minaj took a moment to strike a diva pose before explaining that her statement shouldn't be taken as shade towards anyone.
"No, no, no shade," she clarified.
However, many took it as a shade towards Iggy Azalea who has been widely rumoured to use ghostwriters for her music.
The Queens-born rapper continued with her speech, recalling how when she used to sit in the studio with Lil Wayne. It would literally take her sometimes 3 to 4 days to write.
Minaj credits her motivation to write her verses in the studio to Lil Wayne, whom she proclaimed to love since he convinced her "to push her pen."
Before Nicki Minaj left the stage, she ended her speech with what others presumed was a second jab at Azalea.
"I hope and pray that BET continues to honor authenticity," she concluded. "And that's all I'm gonna say about that."
Iggy Azalea, who performed her hit song "Fancy" during the BET Awards with rapper T.I., has not responded to Nicki Minaj's statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected