NBA News: Milwaukee Bucks, Brooklyn Nets Reach Agreement on Jason Kidd
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 1, 2014 2:50 PM EST
The neophyte coaches are stuffing the headlines in the off-season.
Jason Kidd is on his way to Milwaukee after the Bucks and the Nets reached a deal to send the rookie coach to the rebuilding Bucks for two future second rounder picks. The first year coach is reportedly on his way out after an internal conflict that pushed the Nets management and Kidd to reach an impasse.
NBA: Playoffs-Brooklyn Nets at Toronto Raptors
Due to this, Milwaukee has fired Larry Drew to accommodate the arrival of Kidd. On the other hand, the Nets will receive the 2015 and 2019 second round picks of Milwaukee. Sources say that the Nets initially were targeting a first round pick for the coach similar to what the Boston Celtics got from the Los Angeles Clippers for Doc Rivers but the Bucks declined and countered with the agreed offer.
Rumours are ripe that Kidd's transfer was a result of power play with management where the former Nets point guard and All-star demanded from management to name him coach and President of basketball operations. No such kind of deal is in place in Milwaukee where the jobs of general manager John Hammond, David Morway, Dave Babcock and several other high ranking officials are tightly secured, sources from ESPN.com reports.
The Nets are moving on with several other former head coaches being tied to the team such Lionel Hollins, who is reportedly the favorite, George Karl, Mark Jackson and several other names who will be considered. The Nets who overcame a disappointing start to the 2014 season are coming off a promising second round exit against the Miami Heat.
They also disposed of the youthful Toronto Raptors in the first round in seven games. With the free agency of several key players such as Paul Pierce and Shawn Livingston, the return of Brook Lopez from foot injury, and the uncertainty of Kevin Garnett's player option, the Nets are staring into a new challenge given that ownership is hell-bent to put forth a championship caliber team despite the costs.
While Kidd was instrumental in the turn-around of the team, the Brooklyn Nets have to make do with the assets left behind in the deal and re-organize the structure according to the potential coach. Kidd is only the fourth NBA coach to switch teams after his maiden season joining the ranks of Stan Albeck and Jack McKinney who did the same move following the 1979-80 season.
The versatile point guard and controversial mentor will now have to guide a young roster that includes 2014 number 2 pick Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and a troubled and injured Larry Sanders. His ability to manage egos and discipline players reportedly attracted the Bucks ownership to chase him out of the Nets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports