NBA News: Milwaukee Bucks, Brooklyn Nets Reach Agreement on Jason Kidd
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 1, 2014 2:50 PM EST
The neophyte coaches are stuffing the headlines in the off-season.
Jason Kidd is on his way to Milwaukee after the Bucks and the Nets reached a deal to send the rookie coach to the rebuilding Bucks for two future second rounder picks. The first year coach is reportedly on his way out after an internal conflict that pushed the Nets management and Kidd to reach an impasse.
NBA: Playoffs-Brooklyn Nets at Toronto Raptors
Due to this, Milwaukee has fired Larry Drew to accommodate the arrival of Kidd. On the other hand, the Nets will receive the 2015 and 2019 second round picks of Milwaukee. Sources say that the Nets initially were targeting a first round pick for the coach similar to what the Boston Celtics got from the Los Angeles Clippers for Doc Rivers but the Bucks declined and countered with the agreed offer.
Rumours are ripe that Kidd's transfer was a result of power play with management where the former Nets point guard and All-star demanded from management to name him coach and President of basketball operations. No such kind of deal is in place in Milwaukee where the jobs of general manager John Hammond, David Morway, Dave Babcock and several other high ranking officials are tightly secured, sources from ESPN.com reports.
The Nets are moving on with several other former head coaches being tied to the team such Lionel Hollins, who is reportedly the favorite, George Karl, Mark Jackson and several other names who will be considered. The Nets who overcame a disappointing start to the 2014 season are coming off a promising second round exit against the Miami Heat.
They also disposed of the youthful Toronto Raptors in the first round in seven games. With the free agency of several key players such as Paul Pierce and Shawn Livingston, the return of Brook Lopez from foot injury, and the uncertainty of Kevin Garnett's player option, the Nets are staring into a new challenge given that ownership is hell-bent to put forth a championship caliber team despite the costs.
While Kidd was instrumental in the turn-around of the team, the Brooklyn Nets have to make do with the assets left behind in the deal and re-organize the structure according to the potential coach. Kidd is only the fourth NBA coach to switch teams after his maiden season joining the ranks of Stan Albeck and Jack McKinney who did the same move following the 1979-80 season.
The versatile point guard and controversial mentor will now have to guide a young roster that includes 2014 number 2 pick Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and a troubled and injured Larry Sanders. His ability to manage egos and discipline players reportedly attracted the Bucks ownership to chase him out of the Nets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko