NBA News: Milwaukee Bucks, Brooklyn Nets Reach Agreement on Jason Kidd
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 1, 2014 2:50 PM EST
The neophyte coaches are stuffing the headlines in the off-season.
Jason Kidd is on his way to Milwaukee after the Bucks and the Nets reached a deal to send the rookie coach to the rebuilding Bucks for two future second rounder picks. The first year coach is reportedly on his way out after an internal conflict that pushed the Nets management and Kidd to reach an impasse.
NBA: Playoffs-Brooklyn Nets at Toronto Raptors
Due to this, Milwaukee has fired Larry Drew to accommodate the arrival of Kidd. On the other hand, the Nets will receive the 2015 and 2019 second round picks of Milwaukee. Sources say that the Nets initially were targeting a first round pick for the coach similar to what the Boston Celtics got from the Los Angeles Clippers for Doc Rivers but the Bucks declined and countered with the agreed offer.
Rumours are ripe that Kidd's transfer was a result of power play with management where the former Nets point guard and All-star demanded from management to name him coach and President of basketball operations. No such kind of deal is in place in Milwaukee where the jobs of general manager John Hammond, David Morway, Dave Babcock and several other high ranking officials are tightly secured, sources from ESPN.com reports.
The Nets are moving on with several other former head coaches being tied to the team such Lionel Hollins, who is reportedly the favorite, George Karl, Mark Jackson and several other names who will be considered. The Nets who overcame a disappointing start to the 2014 season are coming off a promising second round exit against the Miami Heat.
They also disposed of the youthful Toronto Raptors in the first round in seven games. With the free agency of several key players such as Paul Pierce and Shawn Livingston, the return of Brook Lopez from foot injury, and the uncertainty of Kevin Garnett's player option, the Nets are staring into a new challenge given that ownership is hell-bent to put forth a championship caliber team despite the costs.
While Kidd was instrumental in the turn-around of the team, the Brooklyn Nets have to make do with the assets left behind in the deal and re-organize the structure according to the potential coach. Kidd is only the fourth NBA coach to switch teams after his maiden season joining the ranks of Stan Albeck and Jack McKinney who did the same move following the 1979-80 season.
The versatile point guard and controversial mentor will now have to guide a young roster that includes 2014 number 2 pick Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and a troubled and injured Larry Sanders. His ability to manage egos and discipline players reportedly attracted the Bucks ownership to chase him out of the Nets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date