Ed Sheeran’s X Beats Coldplay’s Ghost Stories for Fastest-Selling Album of 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | July 1, 2014 1:04 PM EST
Ed Sheeran's sophomore album "X" has skyrocketed to number one in the Official UK Album Chart on its first week and broke Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" record for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
Musician Ed Sheeran arrives on the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014.
Sales data from the Official UK Chart Company shows that the 23-year-old singer and songwriter made more than 180,000 copies of his "X" album sold on its first week, beating Coldplay's 162,000 copies sold on its first week starting from its release on May 16, 2014.
Ed Sheeran released his new second full-length album "X" on Monday, June 23 and it now sits firmly on the Official UK Albums Chart at no. (1), with Sam Smith's "In the Lonely Hour" at no. (2), Lana Del Rey's "Ultraviolence" at no. (3), Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" at no. (4) and Paulo Nutini's "Caustic Love" at no. (5).
Kasabian's "48:13:00" is down from the Top 5, taking the no. (6) spot. Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke - The Best Of" sits at no. (7), Linkin Park's "The Hunting Party" sits at no. (8), Paloma Faith's "A Perfect Contradiction" sits at no. (9) and the newcomer Mastodon's "Once More 'Round The Sun" grabs the no. (10) spot.
In other news, Ed Sheeran's new single, included in his "X" album, now sits at no. (3) in the Official UK Singles Chart. "The X Factor" 2012 contestant Ella Henderson's "Ghost," which debuts at number one is now at no. (2), while the newcomer Oliver Heldens & Becky Hill's "Gecko (Overdrive)" now make it to no. (1).
With a sold out concert in Paris, France, happening on Nov 27, 2014, Ed Sheeran, who used to tour with his BFF Taylor Swift, is now touring the world with his "X" album, pronounced as "multiply."
Brimming with success, Sheeran proved that his music added with his charisma could make people all over the world believe that he can easily make it to the top. Transforming from the slow and narrative singer who does cover songs on YouTube to an upbeat and rappy British singer with his latest album "X," Ed Sheeran is now "Sing-ing" and making a shout of his name in the music industry.
WATCH: Official Music Video of Ed Sheeran's "Sing"
CREDIT: YouTube/Ed Sheeran
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight