Ed Sheeran’s X Beats Coldplay’s Ghost Stories for Fastest-Selling Album of 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | July 1, 2014 1:04 PM EST
Ed Sheeran's sophomore album "X" has skyrocketed to number one in the Official UK Album Chart on its first week and broke Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" record for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
Musician Ed Sheeran arrives on the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014.
Sales data from the Official UK Chart Company shows that the 23-year-old singer and songwriter made more than 180,000 copies of his "X" album sold on its first week, beating Coldplay's 162,000 copies sold on its first week starting from its release on May 16, 2014.
Ed Sheeran released his new second full-length album "X" on Monday, June 23 and it now sits firmly on the Official UK Albums Chart at no. (1), with Sam Smith's "In the Lonely Hour" at no. (2), Lana Del Rey's "Ultraviolence" at no. (3), Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" at no. (4) and Paulo Nutini's "Caustic Love" at no. (5).
Kasabian's "48:13:00" is down from the Top 5, taking the no. (6) spot. Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke - The Best Of" sits at no. (7), Linkin Park's "The Hunting Party" sits at no. (8), Paloma Faith's "A Perfect Contradiction" sits at no. (9) and the newcomer Mastodon's "Once More 'Round The Sun" grabs the no. (10) spot.
In other news, Ed Sheeran's new single, included in his "X" album, now sits at no. (3) in the Official UK Singles Chart. "The X Factor" 2012 contestant Ella Henderson's "Ghost," which debuts at number one is now at no. (2), while the newcomer Oliver Heldens & Becky Hill's "Gecko (Overdrive)" now make it to no. (1).
With a sold out concert in Paris, France, happening on Nov 27, 2014, Ed Sheeran, who used to tour with his BFF Taylor Swift, is now touring the world with his "X" album, pronounced as "multiply."
Brimming with success, Sheeran proved that his music added with his charisma could make people all over the world believe that he can easily make it to the top. Transforming from the slow and narrative singer who does cover songs on YouTube to an upbeat and rappy British singer with his latest album "X," Ed Sheeran is now "Sing-ing" and making a shout of his name in the music industry.
WATCH: Official Music Video of Ed Sheeran's "Sing"
CREDIT: YouTube/Ed Sheeran
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar