Prince Harry Supports The World Cup, Repairs TV For Chile v Brazil Match
By Tanya Diente | July 1, 2014 12:57 PM EST
On a visit to Chile, at a slum outside the former capital, Valparaiso, Prince Harry showed his practical side by fixing a family's TV just in time for them to watch their country beat Brazil in the World Cup.
Britain's Prince Harry speaks with members of the non-governmental organization TECHO as he tours El Vergel neighbourhood in Valparaiso city June 28, 2014. Britain's Prince Harry met on Saturday with victims of the devastating wildfire that leveled large swathes of the port city Valparaiso in April. The Chilean government estimates some 10,000 people were affected by the fire.
According to Express, Prince Harry was in the village of El Vergel in Chile to see how the community is being rebuilt after a forest fire in April destroyed nine out of ten of the self-made homes. He was with the charity group Techo, who is assisting the villagers build new shelters made from clipboard and corrugated iron. Inside one of these shelters is Cocoa Perez, 50, and her teenage son and daughter.
Prince Harry noticed that their television was not working properly so according to Perez, he "looked at it and he started to fiddle with the cable."
Prince Harry managed to fix the television so the family could watch the Brazil v Chile match in the World Cup.
"Now I can tell everyone that Prince Harry is my TV repair man," Perez said after.
Outside, the prince was told that Techo had reinstated electricity. Access to sanitation was also regained with the installed portable toilets and communal water tanks.
Prince Harry told Mrs. Perez that "the worst seems to be over and now it's just a case of waiting," to which Perez replied "We just have to wait and be patient. We have no choice."
According to telegraph, another resident, Carolina Guzman, also talked to the prince for 10 minutes, where she recalled the day the fire consumed their home.
Guzman said she felt really moved, happy and thankful to have met Prince Harry that she felt like crying.
Later, Prince Harry visited the 11th Fire Company, established by the British immigrants in Valparaiso, where he met volunteer firefighter Gonzalo Alvarez.
Alvarez also lost his home to the fire yet on that day continued on driving the firetruck to help the other victims.
Alvarez said Prince Harry was surprised to learn that volunteers have to pay a small fee in order to volunteer, yet they are not given any salary.
"He was also very surprised to see people living up in the hills in tents when it is so cold," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date