John Key Pressured to Name Diplomat Accused of Attacking Young Woman
By Reissa Su | July 1, 2014 12:26 PM EST
The New Zealand government is under pressure to name the diplomat accused of assaulting a young woman and identify his home country. According to Prime Minister John Key, a court suppression order is blocking the government to reveal the identity of the diplomat who has now left New Zealand.
New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key speaks at a luncheon in Sydney February 7, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Brendon Thorne/Pool
The New Zealand government said it is "doing everything" to ensure justice is served. However, the government has not received any assurance that the diplomat will stand trial for the assault charges in his home country.
Labour party's foreign affairs spokesman David Shearer told media that he doesn't see why the accused cannot be named and his home country if he was invoking diplomatic immunity.
Shearer said if New Zealand doesn't follow up the case, "we won't see that person brought to justice."
Mr Key said if Labour cannot understand why the government has to keep silent about the diplomat's identity, he challenged the party to feel free to appear on TV. He said Labour can face the consequences since he is "not their master."
According to reports, Mr Key may face questions about the case in Parliament today. He has been told about the suppression order and has no plans of revealing the identity of the man or his homeland.
Mr Key said the government requested the suspect's home country to waive diplomatic immunity but it refused. The diplomat had left the following day after the request was made. Although no assurance was given about the diplomat facing charges, the home country said they will be taking the matter seriously and hold the person accountable.
Mr Key only said the home country involved has a "good relationship" with New Zealand.
New Zealand police had arrested the diplomat in Wellington on May 9 and filed charges of burglary and assault with intent to rape. He appeared in the Wellington District Court on May 10, a day after the alleged assault.
New Zealand would have preferred the diplomat to be charged but his home country prevented it from happening.
Mr Key has no comment about what action the government would take if the investigation will not hold the diplomat accountable. Media personnel had asked the prime minister about why it took so long to reveal the incident to the public. He said a series of meetings had taken place in the last month.
Labour Party leader David Cunliffe remarked that the government should have been "a bit more upfront" to insist justice to occur at least in the home country. He said New Zealanders "deserve a full explanation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report