Australian Dollar Outlook -01July 2014
By Christine Gaylican | July 1, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: With the AUD trading in familiar ranges, the focus will be on the RBA's post-meeting statement released at 14:30AEST today.
Australia: We open this financial year some US 0.03 higher from where it started 2013/14. It opened last financial year at 0.9131 and over the
course of the year has been 4.7c lower and 6.3c higher.
Reserve Bank of New Zealand dollar notes are pictured in Singapore in this June 22, 2006 file photo.
The market are not expecting any change to the cash rate, the post-meeting statement is likely to continue to reflect the uncertainties around the outlook in line with the sentiment in the Minutes from the June meeting.
The RBA may soften its language in relation to the outlook for consumption given the lower-than-expected growth in Q1 consumption, weaker anecdotes from the retail sector and the decline in consumer confidence. It may also add further colour to its thinking on the high AUD, given that the dollar has risen nearly US 2 cents since the previous meeting, while commodity prices have moved broadly lower.
The weekly ANZ-Roy Morgan measure of consumer confidence is published this morning and while it has improved modestly in recent weeks, it remains well below its pre-budget levels.
Majors: The USD declined as month end flow dominated and US economic data continued to improve. With gains in the GBP, EUR, JPY, AUD, and the NZD struggled as the June business survey disappointed and Treasury said that the terms of trade had likely peaked.
Euro-zone core inflation for June came in a point higher than expected at 0.8% y-o-y ahead of the ECB meeting. In China today, the official manufacturing PMI for June will be published at 11:00AEST and is expected to have risen modestly to 51.2 (mkt: 51.0) from 50.8.
For later prices, ranges visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen