Google is Set to Shutdown Orkut: Twitter Users Remember the Good Old Days
By Tarun Mazumdar | July 1, 2014 11:32 AM EST
Google is bidding goodbye to one of its most successful projects - Orkut. The 10-year-old social networking Web site is Google's first. It is time for users of Orkut to call it a day and migrate to platforms such as Google+. On Monday, Google declared that it is closing down the social networking Web site on Sept. 30, 2014.
"Over the past decade, YouTube, Blogger and Google+ have taken off, with communities springing up in every corner of the world. Because the growth of these communities has outpaced Orkut's growth, we've decided to bid Orkut farewell (or, tchau). We'll be focusing our energy and resources on making these other social platforms as amazing as possible for everyone who uses them," wrote Paulo Golgher, Engineering Director in a post on Orkut's blog.
Orkut was launched in early 2004 and was built as a "20 percent" project. It started conversations via scraps and different communities and forged connections. Orkut introduced the concept of social networking as people across the globe connected to each other.
"We will shut down Orkut on September 30, 2014. Until then, there will be no impact on current Orkut users, to give the community time to manage the transition. People can export their profile data, community posts and photos using Google Takeout (available until September 2016). Starting today, it will not be possible to create a new Orkut account."
Google announced in the post that it will preserve the communities that the users created. It will be preserved an archive of all the communities. The archive will be available online starting Sept. 30, 2014.
Users can visit the 'Help Center' for more details.
Orkut users took to Twitter and remembered the days.
Check out some of the tweets below.
Orkut is shutting down, though we don't use it anymore, but we had good memories there!
— Dr. Tayyab Naik :P (@tayyabmemon) June 30, 2014
With Orkut, ends an era of first ever social network discovery, testimonials, scraps and memories of adolescence — Liza Saha (@LizaSaha) June 30, 2014
orkut is finally shutting down (h/t @TheHumerus) that's a huge, huge part of my life gone :'(
— Zaphod Beeblebrox (@RootKanal) June 30, 2014
What do you think about Orkut shutting down? Are you going to miss the Web site? Share your views in the comments section below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- The Pirate Bay Down In The US: TPB Crew Resolved The Routing Issues
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report