Google is Set to Shutdown Orkut: Twitter Users Remember the Good Old Days
By Tarun Mazumdar | July 1, 2014 11:32 AM EST
Google is bidding goodbye to one of its most successful projects - Orkut. The 10-year-old social networking Web site is Google's first. It is time for users of Orkut to call it a day and migrate to platforms such as Google+. On Monday, Google declared that it is closing down the social networking Web site on Sept. 30, 2014.
"Over the past decade, YouTube, Blogger and Google+ have taken off, with communities springing up in every corner of the world. Because the growth of these communities has outpaced Orkut's growth, we've decided to bid Orkut farewell (or, tchau). We'll be focusing our energy and resources on making these other social platforms as amazing as possible for everyone who uses them," wrote Paulo Golgher, Engineering Director in a post on Orkut's blog.
Orkut was launched in early 2004 and was built as a "20 percent" project. It started conversations via scraps and different communities and forged connections. Orkut introduced the concept of social networking as people across the globe connected to each other.
"We will shut down Orkut on September 30, 2014. Until then, there will be no impact on current Orkut users, to give the community time to manage the transition. People can export their profile data, community posts and photos using Google Takeout (available until September 2016). Starting today, it will not be possible to create a new Orkut account."
Google announced in the post that it will preserve the communities that the users created. It will be preserved an archive of all the communities. The archive will be available online starting Sept. 30, 2014.
Users can visit the 'Help Center' for more details.
Orkut users took to Twitter and remembered the days.
Check out some of the tweets below.
Orkut is shutting down, though we don't use it anymore, but we had good memories there!
— Dr. Tayyab Naik :P (@tayyabmemon) June 30, 2014
With Orkut, ends an era of first ever social network discovery, testimonials, scraps and memories of adolescence — Liza Saha (@LizaSaha) June 30, 2014
orkut is finally shutting down (h/t @TheHumerus) that's a huge, huge part of my life gone :'(
— Zaphod Beeblebrox (@RootKanal) June 30, 2014
What do you think about Orkut shutting down? Are you going to miss the Web site? Share your views in the comments section below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’