Google is Set to Shutdown Orkut: Twitter Users Remember the Good Old Days
By Tarun Mazumdar | July 1, 2014 11:32 AM EST
Google is bidding goodbye to one of its most successful projects - Orkut. The 10-year-old social networking Web site is Google's first. It is time for users of Orkut to call it a day and migrate to platforms such as Google+. On Monday, Google declared that it is closing down the social networking Web site on Sept. 30, 2014.
"Over the past decade, YouTube, Blogger and Google+ have taken off, with communities springing up in every corner of the world. Because the growth of these communities has outpaced Orkut's growth, we've decided to bid Orkut farewell (or, tchau). We'll be focusing our energy and resources on making these other social platforms as amazing as possible for everyone who uses them," wrote Paulo Golgher, Engineering Director in a post on Orkut's blog.
Orkut was launched in early 2004 and was built as a "20 percent" project. It started conversations via scraps and different communities and forged connections. Orkut introduced the concept of social networking as people across the globe connected to each other.
"We will shut down Orkut on September 30, 2014. Until then, there will be no impact on current Orkut users, to give the community time to manage the transition. People can export their profile data, community posts and photos using Google Takeout (available until September 2016). Starting today, it will not be possible to create a new Orkut account."
Google announced in the post that it will preserve the communities that the users created. It will be preserved an archive of all the communities. The archive will be available online starting Sept. 30, 2014.
Users can visit the 'Help Center' for more details.
Orkut users took to Twitter and remembered the days.
Check out some of the tweets below.
Orkut is shutting down, though we don't use it anymore, but we had good memories there!
— Dr. Tayyab Naik :P (@tayyabmemon) June 30, 2014
With Orkut, ends an era of first ever social network discovery, testimonials, scraps and memories of adolescence — Liza Saha (@LizaSaha) June 30, 2014
orkut is finally shutting down (h/t @TheHumerus) that's a huge, huge part of my life gone :'(
— Zaphod Beeblebrox (@RootKanal) June 30, 2014
What do you think about Orkut shutting down? Are you going to miss the Web site? Share your views in the comments section below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates And A ‘Doctor Who’ DLC Coming
- ‘Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney' For Nintendo 3DS Released On Aug. 29, 2014 In North America [WATCH VIDEO]
- SIMS 4 Missing Contents To Be Added Via DLC and New Details Unveiled From Livestream
- 5 Free Apps For Smartphones That Can Help Make You Look Beautiful
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Dragon Age Keep Save Import and Multiplayer Mode Explained
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October