Google is Set to Shutdown Orkut: Twitter Users Remember the Good Old Days
By Tarun Mazumdar | July 1, 2014 11:32 AM EST
Google is bidding goodbye to one of its most successful projects - Orkut. The 10-year-old social networking Web site is Google's first. It is time for users of Orkut to call it a day and migrate to platforms such as Google+. On Monday, Google declared that it is closing down the social networking Web site on Sept. 30, 2014.
"Over the past decade, YouTube, Blogger and Google+ have taken off, with communities springing up in every corner of the world. Because the growth of these communities has outpaced Orkut's growth, we've decided to bid Orkut farewell (or, tchau). We'll be focusing our energy and resources on making these other social platforms as amazing as possible for everyone who uses them," wrote Paulo Golgher, Engineering Director in a post on Orkut's blog.
Orkut was launched in early 2004 and was built as a "20 percent" project. It started conversations via scraps and different communities and forged connections. Orkut introduced the concept of social networking as people across the globe connected to each other.
"We will shut down Orkut on September 30, 2014. Until then, there will be no impact on current Orkut users, to give the community time to manage the transition. People can export their profile data, community posts and photos using Google Takeout (available until September 2016). Starting today, it will not be possible to create a new Orkut account."
Google announced in the post that it will preserve the communities that the users created. It will be preserved an archive of all the communities. The archive will be available online starting Sept. 30, 2014.
Users can visit the 'Help Center' for more details.
Orkut users took to Twitter and remembered the days.
Check out some of the tweets below.
Orkut is shutting down, though we don't use it anymore, but we had good memories there!
— Dr. Tayyab Naik :P (@tayyabmemon) June 30, 2014
With Orkut, ends an era of first ever social network discovery, testimonials, scraps and memories of adolescence — Liza Saha (@LizaSaha) June 30, 2014
orkut is finally shutting down (h/t @TheHumerus) that's a huge, huge part of my life gone :'(
— Zaphod Beeblebrox (@RootKanal) June 30, 2014
What do you think about Orkut shutting down? Are you going to miss the Web site? Share your views in the comments section below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- 'The Sims 4' Disappointing In-Game Factors And Pixelated Downloadable Pirated Copies
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- ‘Minecraft’ Buyout By Microsoft Complete as Mojang's Notch Says His Farewell
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet