NBA News: Atlanta Hawks Set Sights on Free Agent Luol Deng
By James Patrick Quizon | July 1, 2014 11:24 AM EST
The NBA free agency period is officially underway and teams can formally start tendering offers to prospective signees on Tuesday. With a recent trade that centered on further creating cap space, the Atlanta Hawks are in prime position to chase a big name free agent and one of the targets is Luol Deng, an unrestricted free agent (UFA) from the Cleveland Cavaliers.
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers at New York Knicks
The Hawks traded for John Salmons and his expiring contract on Saturday giving away Lou Williams and the rights to international prospect Lucas Nogueira to the Toronto Raptors.
The move will result in a $5 million savings for the Hawks, which will fall to around $44M committed for the 2014-2015 season—a figure that will make the major players in free agency in this offseason. The NBA salary cap is projected to hover around the $63M.
Like other teams with potential to spend big in the FA market, the Hawks probable targets are the more recognizable names like Carmelo Anthony (UFA, New York Knicks) and LeBron James (UFA, Miami Heat). However, should those stars shun their invitation to join the Atlanta franchise, the Hawks have no problem settling for the likes of Deng, who is a known two-way player, effective as a small forward on both ends of the floor.
Deng earned over $14M in his final year with the Cavaliers, who acquired him in a midseason trade with the Chicago Bulls. The British national is poised to earn more as per the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) rules but may have to settle for less with his history of injuries.
Still, Deng will command a contract near his previous salary and won’t go down the double-digit mark ($10M). With a starting unit of Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, Paul Millsap and Al Horford, Deng’s skill set—both on offense and defense-- will fit in nicely with the Atlanta team that made a bit of noise in the recent NBA Playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More