NBA News: Atlanta Hawks Set Sights on Free Agent Luol Deng
By James Patrick Quizon | July 1, 2014 11:24 AM EST
The NBA free agency period is officially underway and teams can formally start tendering offers to prospective signees on Tuesday. With a recent trade that centered on further creating cap space, the Atlanta Hawks are in prime position to chase a big name free agent and one of the targets is Luol Deng, an unrestricted free agent (UFA) from the Cleveland Cavaliers.
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers at New York Knicks
The Hawks traded for John Salmons and his expiring contract on Saturday giving away Lou Williams and the rights to international prospect Lucas Nogueira to the Toronto Raptors.
The move will result in a $5 million savings for the Hawks, which will fall to around $44M committed for the 2014-2015 season—a figure that will make the major players in free agency in this offseason. The NBA salary cap is projected to hover around the $63M.
Like other teams with potential to spend big in the FA market, the Hawks probable targets are the more recognizable names like Carmelo Anthony (UFA, New York Knicks) and LeBron James (UFA, Miami Heat). However, should those stars shun their invitation to join the Atlanta franchise, the Hawks have no problem settling for the likes of Deng, who is a known two-way player, effective as a small forward on both ends of the floor.
Deng earned over $14M in his final year with the Cavaliers, who acquired him in a midseason trade with the Chicago Bulls. The British national is poised to earn more as per the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) rules but may have to settle for less with his history of injuries.
Still, Deng will command a contract near his previous salary and won’t go down the double-digit mark ($10M). With a starting unit of Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, Paul Millsap and Al Horford, Deng’s skill set—both on offense and defense-- will fit in nicely with the Atlanta team that made a bit of noise in the recent NBA Playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports