Andy Murray Storms into Quarter-Finals at Wimbledon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 1, 2014 10:33 AM EST
Andy Murray stormed into the quarter-finals at Wimbledon as he beat Kevin Anderson in straight sets. The defending champion defeated the 20th seed South African 6-4, 6-3 and 7-6 (8-6). This was the 7th time Murray reached the Wimbledon quarter-finals.
Andy Murray of Britain throws his sweatband into the crowd after defeating Kevin Anderson of South Africa in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 30, 2014.
The match was played under the Centre Court roof as it was delayed by rain in the 2nd set. Murray has not yet lost a set yet this year at Wimbledon. He has to beat Bulgarian player Grigor Dimitrov to go to the semi-finals. This was the 17th consecutive win for the 27-year-old British player at the All England Club. His win started in 2012. If Murray manages to win the Wimbledon title in 2014, it will be his second consecutive Wimbledon title. The last time any Briton managed to do so was in 1936. It was Fred Perry who won the Wimbledon title two years in a row 78 years back.
Murray found it more difficult when the game was played indoors. He said that he had been playing quite well when it was outdoors. However, Anderson started hitting the ball better when it came indoors. The South African was also serving better indoors, he said. According to Murray, his game involved more running at the latter half of the match as Anderson was playing much better. The 6 feet 8 inch tall player from South Africa fought better after the roof had come over.
Earlier, Murray had Ivan Lendl as his coach. Lendl was a former no.1 tennis player. Former French tennis player, Amelie Mauresmo is Murray's new coach. Her calm persona apparently has a positive influence on her player. Murray has accepted that she has influenced him in a positive manner. He is able to use his nerves positively now, he said. Murray also said that his new coach is "incredibly supportive" which helps him significantly.
Murray defeated David Goffin from Belgium in the 1st round, Blaz Rola from Slovakia in the 2nd and Roberto Bautista Agut from Spain in the 3rd.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Marcos Maidana Heavily Praised By Mexican Boxing Legends
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine