Andy Murray Storms into Quarter-Finals at Wimbledon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 1, 2014 10:33 AM EST
Andy Murray stormed into the quarter-finals at Wimbledon as he beat Kevin Anderson in straight sets. The defending champion defeated the 20th seed South African 6-4, 6-3 and 7-6 (8-6). This was the 7th time Murray reached the Wimbledon quarter-finals.
Andy Murray of Britain throws his sweatband into the crowd after defeating Kevin Anderson of South Africa in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 30, 2014.
The match was played under the Centre Court roof as it was delayed by rain in the 2nd set. Murray has not yet lost a set yet this year at Wimbledon. He has to beat Bulgarian player Grigor Dimitrov to go to the semi-finals. This was the 17th consecutive win for the 27-year-old British player at the All England Club. His win started in 2012. If Murray manages to win the Wimbledon title in 2014, it will be his second consecutive Wimbledon title. The last time any Briton managed to do so was in 1936. It was Fred Perry who won the Wimbledon title two years in a row 78 years back.
Murray found it more difficult when the game was played indoors. He said that he had been playing quite well when it was outdoors. However, Anderson started hitting the ball better when it came indoors. The South African was also serving better indoors, he said. According to Murray, his game involved more running at the latter half of the match as Anderson was playing much better. The 6 feet 8 inch tall player from South Africa fought better after the roof had come over.
Earlier, Murray had Ivan Lendl as his coach. Lendl was a former no.1 tennis player. Former French tennis player, Amelie Mauresmo is Murray's new coach. Her calm persona apparently has a positive influence on her player. Murray has accepted that she has influenced him in a positive manner. He is able to use his nerves positively now, he said. Murray also said that his new coach is "incredibly supportive" which helps him significantly.
Murray defeated David Goffin from Belgium in the 1st round, Blaz Rola from Slovakia in the 2nd and Roberto Bautista Agut from Spain in the 3rd.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown