Andy Murray Storms into Quarter-Finals at Wimbledon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 1, 2014 10:33 AM EST
Andy Murray stormed into the quarter-finals at Wimbledon as he beat Kevin Anderson in straight sets. The defending champion defeated the 20th seed South African 6-4, 6-3 and 7-6 (8-6). This was the 7th time Murray reached the Wimbledon quarter-finals.
Andy Murray of Britain throws his sweatband into the crowd after defeating Kevin Anderson of South Africa in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 30, 2014.
The match was played under the Centre Court roof as it was delayed by rain in the 2nd set. Murray has not yet lost a set yet this year at Wimbledon. He has to beat Bulgarian player Grigor Dimitrov to go to the semi-finals. This was the 17th consecutive win for the 27-year-old British player at the All England Club. His win started in 2012. If Murray manages to win the Wimbledon title in 2014, it will be his second consecutive Wimbledon title. The last time any Briton managed to do so was in 1936. It was Fred Perry who won the Wimbledon title two years in a row 78 years back.
Murray found it more difficult when the game was played indoors. He said that he had been playing quite well when it was outdoors. However, Anderson started hitting the ball better when it came indoors. The South African was also serving better indoors, he said. According to Murray, his game involved more running at the latter half of the match as Anderson was playing much better. The 6 feet 8 inch tall player from South Africa fought better after the roof had come over.
Earlier, Murray had Ivan Lendl as his coach. Lendl was a former no.1 tennis player. Former French tennis player, Amelie Mauresmo is Murray's new coach. Her calm persona apparently has a positive influence on her player. Murray has accepted that she has influenced him in a positive manner. He is able to use his nerves positively now, he said. Murray also said that his new coach is "incredibly supportive" which helps him significantly.
Murray defeated David Goffin from Belgium in the 1st round, Blaz Rola from Slovakia in the 2nd and Roberto Bautista Agut from Spain in the 3rd.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation