5 Things You Should Know About Sofia Hellqvist
July 1, 2014 9:42 AM EST
Sofia Hellqvist received acclaim after it was discovered that she is engaged to Duke of Varmland, Prince Carl Philip. According to Hello Magazine, the couple are bound to tie the knot in the summer of 2015. The two seem to have a lot in common, especially after you find out more about Sofia and her colourful past.
REUTERS/Jonas Ekstromer/TT New
Sweden's Prince Carl Philip (R) and Sofia Hellqvist look at each other during their news conference where they announced their engagement at Stockholm Palace
1. She had a wild past.
Sofia used to be a glamour model and also appeared in the reality TV show "Paradise Hotel" where she gained a lot of popularity. She won the Miss Slitz contest made by the men magazine in 2004 prior to appearing on television. The Swedish palace became wary of the model after she made the final in the scandalous TV show as well as appeared topless in men's magazines. News also broke out that she made out with porn star Jenna Jameson while in Las Vegas.
2. She understands long term relationships.
Although Prince Carl Philip himself was a former playboy and could not completely come to church with clean hands, the two have been dating since 2010. In 2011, the two moved in at a private estate in Djurgarden, Sweden. It seemed that the two finally met their match in each other by turning into fiancés. Prince Carl Philip said, "I have the incredible honor of being engaged to this fantastic girl."
3. She is bound to be among the most powerful woman in Sweden.
Prince Carl Philip used to be heir to the throne but certain rules have changed so he is now third in line. The prince is the only son of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia. Should things speed up for the first two future monarchs, Philip can succeed the crown, making the former nudist an official resident of the palace.
4. The king and queen like her now.
Although the initial news of the couple dating was outrageous for many people in Sweden, their four-year-long relationship, as well as the changes that Sofia made to her personality and exposure put the king and queen at ease. According to the Daily Mail, Queen Silva did not like the idea of the couple dating at first but has since been inviting Sofia to family gatherings in 2013.
5. Sofia's other interests.
After her stint on the reality show, Sofia moved to New York City to get educated on becoming a yoga instructor. She has a yoga center in Manhattan, New York City. Since getting linked to the prince, Sofia has spent a lot of time doing charity work. She visited Langa, South Africa to support orphans and abused children. She started Project Playground with her sister FridaVesterberg to aid these youngsters.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- Nude Photo Leak: Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens, Hope Solo Latest Victims Of Hacking Attack, Twitter Explodes With Reactions 'Not' In Support Of Kardashian -- Reports