World Cup 2014: Passengers Threaten to Boycott KLM Over Racist Tweet Mocking Mexico’s Loss to The Netherlands in Soccer Game
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 1, 2014 9:26 AM EST
Angry Mexicans have vowed never to ride again in Dutch air carrier KLM after the airline posted a racist tweet after Mexico lost to The Netherlands on Sunday in the ongoing World Cup games in Brazil.
The offending tweet read: "Adios Amigos #NEDMEX" and with it was the image of a man with a mustache and sombrero, which is the image of a Mexican.
The tweet added insult to injury because of the heartbreak loss of Mexico made a last-few-minutes rally and knocked out Mexico from the tournament with a score of 2-1
KLM had already deleted the tweet, but the backlash continues.
In a counter tweet, Nacho Bernal hit back, saying, "@KLM that's classy, and very racist. Well done global company that has one of its 7 values to 'be courteous and friendly.'"
annie feighery found KLM not knowing how to win with class, while SNAFU pipeline said the tweet is proof that the air carrier is really good at casual racism.
A fuming mad Gael Garcia Bernal tweeted, "@KLM I'm never flying your shitty airline again. F**k you big time.
George Triton agreed, noting that he used to fly KLM to visit his half-Mexican daughter in the UK, but he won't anymore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best