World Cup 2014: Passengers Threaten to Boycott KLM Over Racist Tweet Mocking Mexico’s Loss to The Netherlands in Soccer Game
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 1, 2014 9:26 AM EST
Angry Mexicans have vowed never to ride again in Dutch air carrier KLM after the airline posted a racist tweet after Mexico lost to The Netherlands on Sunday in the ongoing World Cup games in Brazil.
The offending tweet read: "Adios Amigos #NEDMEX" and with it was the image of a man with a mustache and sombrero, which is the image of a Mexican.
The tweet added insult to injury because of the heartbreak loss of Mexico made a last-few-minutes rally and knocked out Mexico from the tournament with a score of 2-1
KLM had already deleted the tweet, but the backlash continues.
In a counter tweet, Nacho Bernal hit back, saying, "@KLM that's classy, and very racist. Well done global company that has one of its 7 values to 'be courteous and friendly.'"
annie feighery found KLM not knowing how to win with class, while SNAFU pipeline said the tweet is proof that the air carrier is really good at casual racism.
A fuming mad Gael Garcia Bernal tweeted, "@KLM I'm never flying your shitty airline again. F**k you big time.
George Triton agreed, noting that he used to fly KLM to visit his half-Mexican daughter in the UK, but he won't anymore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan