World Cup 2014: Passengers Threaten to Boycott KLM Over Racist Tweet Mocking Mexico’s Loss to The Netherlands in Soccer Game
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 1, 2014 9:26 AM EST
Angry Mexicans have vowed never to ride again in Dutch air carrier KLM after the airline posted a racist tweet after Mexico lost to The Netherlands on Sunday in the ongoing World Cup games in Brazil.
The offending tweet read: "Adios Amigos #NEDMEX" and with it was the image of a man with a mustache and sombrero, which is the image of a Mexican.
The tweet added insult to injury because of the heartbreak loss of Mexico made a last-few-minutes rally and knocked out Mexico from the tournament with a score of 2-1
KLM had already deleted the tweet, but the backlash continues.
In a counter tweet, Nacho Bernal hit back, saying, "@KLM that's classy, and very racist. Well done global company that has one of its 7 values to 'be courteous and friendly.'"
annie feighery found KLM not knowing how to win with class, while SNAFU pipeline said the tweet is proof that the air carrier is really good at casual racism.
A fuming mad Gael Garcia Bernal tweeted, "@KLM I'm never flying your shitty airline again. F**k you big time.
George Triton agreed, noting that he used to fly KLM to visit his half-Mexican daughter in the UK, but he won't anymore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report