World Cup 2014: Passengers Threaten to Boycott KLM Over Racist Tweet Mocking Mexico’s Loss to The Netherlands in Soccer Game
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 1, 2014 9:26 AM EST
Angry Mexicans have vowed never to ride again in Dutch air carrier KLM after the airline posted a racist tweet after Mexico lost to The Netherlands on Sunday in the ongoing World Cup games in Brazil.
The offending tweet read: "Adios Amigos #NEDMEX" and with it was the image of a man with a mustache and sombrero, which is the image of a Mexican.
The tweet added insult to injury because of the heartbreak loss of Mexico made a last-few-minutes rally and knocked out Mexico from the tournament with a score of 2-1
KLM had already deleted the tweet, but the backlash continues.
In a counter tweet, Nacho Bernal hit back, saying, "@KLM that's classy, and very racist. Well done global company that has one of its 7 values to 'be courteous and friendly.'"
annie feighery found KLM not knowing how to win with class, while SNAFU pipeline said the tweet is proof that the air carrier is really good at casual racism.
A fuming mad Gael Garcia Bernal tweeted, "@KLM I'm never flying your shitty airline again. F**k you big time.
George Triton agreed, noting that he used to fly KLM to visit his half-Mexican daughter in the UK, but he won't anymore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report