FIFA 2014 Quarter Finals Predictions: Match #57 Brazil vs. Colombia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 1, 2014 9:12 AM EST
Brazil 2 Colombia 1
Colombia's James Rodriguez celebrates after scoring his second goal during the 2014 World Cup round of 16 game between Colombia and Uruguay at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro June 28, 2014.
Match number 57 is the first quarter final match. Brazil won against Chile in penalty shoot-out to enter the quarter finals while Colombia defeated Uruguay within regular time.
Brazil: The score line says that Brazil won its previous match against Chile. However, after 120 minutes of play, it was quite transparent that it was one of Brazil's poorest performances in the tournament. Brazil looked in rhythm only in the first half an hour of the match. After that, it was Chile which controlled the pace of the match. It totally dominated the second half. Even during the extra-time, Chile decided when to defend and when to attack. Brazil looked clueless. Neymar, Fred and Oscar had one of their worst days on the field. If Julio Cesar did not have a great day on the net during the penalty shoot-out, millions of fans all over the planet would have had heartbreak. It was a close shave for the host nation, and that should work well for Brazil's future. Scolari's boys are now aware how vulnerable they could be. So, they should elevate their standards in the next match. Otherwise, it will be all over.
Colombia: Colombia had an emphatic victory over Uruguay. Such a clear dominance was exceptional especially in the "Round of 16" as most of the matches have been evenly poised. There have already been multiple penalty shoot-outs. The so-called smaller teams have been showing great strength in competing against the significant other. Colombia, on the other hand, was quite convincing. James Rodríguez, who already is the leading goal-scorer at the moment with 5 goals in 4 matches, scored a stunner in the match. His first goal against Uruguay was probably the most extra-ordinary goal of the tournament so far. The team looks in great touch. It has conceded only 2 goals in 4 matches and never conceded more than once in a single match. If it manages to be successful in denying Brazilian strikers, it will create history again by reaching the semi-finals. Colombia's previous best performance was in 1990 when Carlos Valderrama led his team to the "Round of 16."
Head to Head
These two teams played 25 times against each other before. Brazil won 15, Colombia 2, and 8 matches ended in a draw. There were 66 goals scored in total. Brazil scored 55 of those and Colombia 11.
Brazil: Neymar, Marcelo and Julio Cesar
Colombia: James Rodríguez
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on July 4, which means it is 6 am on July 5 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estádio Castelão in Fortaleza.
Brazil will definitely improve its performance. However, it will lack the skills to match Colombia's. James Rodríguez will score again. The final score line will be 3-2 in favour of Colombia.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence